Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked Up My SE 120R...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The delaer here just won't install the motor...everything else they'll do.

~Joe

Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
The delaer here just won't install the motor...everything else they'll do.

~Joe
Thats just... weird.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

Congrats, looking forward to the pics

Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The shop manager and I had a long talk before I ordered the motor. They would gladly have installed it. We discussed several options...letting them remove my 107" and install the 120R, me removing my 107" and bring them a rolling frame and they would install the 120R, and the final option, me removing my 107" and installing the 120R and I trailer it to the dealer to have the ECM flashed and tuned. We agreed that I would make a decision after the 120R arrived.

Fast forward to yesterday and the call that the 120R had arrived...6 weeks early! I had already begun the process of removing my Revolution Performance ignition system and the lowers and crash bar, and started the ACR overlay harness integration in anticipation of making the removal/install easier for whoever did it. I had talked to several of my riding buddies since I had placed my order...none of them could believe that I was even thinking about having the dealership do my install. I love doing this kind of stuff...feel pretty good about doing it...have the tools...have a lift table...and am a fairly competent wrench (if I do say so myself).

Anyway...I am going to do the engine removal/install myself. It is not a question of paying a $90.00/hour labor rate at my dealership...they are all excellent mechanics and have always treated me right. My idea is that nobody, and I mean nobody takes the same care and time to work on my Street Glide as I do! It may take me 3 times longer than HD, but I'm not on the clock to make a living working on Harleys! Mine is the classic 'labor of love' because I love my bike! Once I get her all buttoned up...I'll trailer it to the dealership to do the ECM flash and initial tune. We'll do the dyno after break-in.

For those of you that don't know my whole story...I pulled my entire Revolution Performance system and existing ECM that was flashed (by Revolution Performance) for my 107" engine. I have purchased a new, blank ECM for the 120R. I will keep the old ECM with my 107" build...it all goes together and right now I'm thinking of just setting my old engine in the corner. I do not know what I'll do with it right now.

Thanks for the interest...

Steve

Last edited by SCJE8; 01-14-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Additional Information...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Subscribed...I just ordered the Injectors & Throttle Body for mine. I was "on the fence" between the 120r & Procharger; finally decided on the 120r because of the down low torque.
I picked up my SE 58mm TBI and high-flow injectors yesterday when my engine came in. I was very disappointed that the inside of this 'high performance' unit was just as rough as my OEM TBI! My HPI TBI on my 107" is as slick as glass on the inside! The damn thing looks unfinished to me!

Anyway...I'm going to call HPI and Fuel-Moto about polishing this new piece before I install it. I don't know how much difference it will make...but I do know that it will simply make me feel better!

Steve

Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Technical question: what procedure do you use, or plan to use, on removing the old and installing the new engine? Will you do it with the engine assembled, or strip the top end off first?

As to the intake system, years ago when I was a professional truck mechanic, a guy who used to build race engines told me that he left the intakes somewhat rough, but smoothed up the exhaust ports. He stated the rougher intake ports helped the fuel and air to mix better, while the smooth exhaust ports helped get the exhaust out faster. This is all the knowledge I have on this topic.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Thet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a gee-whiz question, and more to deter my mind from telling me I can do this myself, what is the final cost of this after engine, TB, injectors, etc.? You can PM me if you'd like.

If I ever did this to my Street Glide, I know I'd be grinning ear-to-ear for about 30 seconds... After that I'll be dead when the wife sees the cost.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy the 120R. Depending how close you are to your dealer, you might be able to flash the new ECM using the 120 base map the SEPST program has, ride it in and let them dyno it.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJE8
I picked up my SE 58mm TBI and high-flow injectors yesterday when my engine came in. I was very disappointed that the inside of this 'high performance' unit was just as rough as my OEM TBI! My HPI TBI on my 107" is as slick as glass on the inside! The damn thing looks unfinished to me!

Anyway...I'm going to call HPI and Fuel-Moto about polishing this new piece before I install it. I don't know how much difference it will make...but I do know that it will simply make me feel better!

Steve
I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my SE 58mm Throttle Body. I have just ordered the TB, Injectors, clutch and they'll arrive well before the 102r will. I believe Jamie offers TB porting for $169 which is very reasonable.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Jamie ported the TB for my 103.....very nice....and he leves it rough on purpose.....he said the DYNO charts confirm that a smooth polished finish on intakes actually inhibits airflow.

But polished is good on the EXHAUST side. Weird, I know, but his DYNO charts confirm it.

~Joe

Quick Reply: Picked Up My SE 120R...