Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked Up My SE 120R...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
SE clutch is out! I'm now using the SE Friction Plates stock basket and VPC, big difference. Unfortunately the "canned" map from Dynojet didn't get me even close to a decent tune. Going to trailer the bike to the tuner this week. I'll post graph when its completed.
Bummer, but looking forward to your graph and riding impressions

Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SE clutch is out! I'm now using the SE Friction Plates stock basket and VPC, big difference. Unfortunately the "canned" map from Dynojet didn't get me even close to a decent tune. Going to trailer the bike to the tuner this week. I'll post graph when its completed.
Hmmmm, I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised with the problems you're having with the SE clutch. I rode a buddy's 120R equipped SG recently and while the clutch was a little stiff on the pull, nothing outrageous, and no sign of slippage. I read up on VPC and I hope it works for you. I gotta say, I'm a little skeptical with the concept. Basically, if I'm understanding correctly it uses the g-force created by the weights on the pressure plate to create more pressure on the friction discs and plates while reducing lever pull by repositioning the pivot point on the diaphragm spring. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but if it works as described in the ad and you confirm, I'm all in for one.

Last edited by dgdamore; 02-06-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Hmmmm, I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised with the problems you're having with the SE clutch. I rode a buddy's 120R equipped SG recently and while the clutch was a little stiff on the pull, nothing outrageous, and no sign of slippage. I read up on VPC and I hope it works for you. I gotta say, I'm a little skeptical with the concept. Basically, if I'm understudying correctly it uses the g-force created by the weights on the pressure plate to create more pressure on the friction discs and plates while reducing lever pull by repositioning the pivot point on the diaphragm spring. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but if it works as described in the ad and you confirm, I'm all in for one.
Not a gimmick at all. Still need enough spring as not to slip until the weights add extra pressure though so a stock spring will not work. A 380(maybe the 340?) would be enough. I have had excellent results with the VPC in my current and other applications.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Not a gimmick at all. Still need enough spring as not to slip until the weights add extra pressure though so a stock spring will not work. A 380(maybe the 340?) would be enough. I have had excellent results with the VPC in my current and other applications.
What's the price on one? Was not listed on the linked page.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

What's the price on one? Was not listed on the linked page.
Prices range from $300 on up, cheaper if you don't need a clutch spring

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
78shovel101
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found this thread,went to the end hoping for a graph and pics

Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 78shovel101
Just found this thread,went to the end hoping for a graph and pics
I'm looking forward to this as well. Hey, I noticed your name and reminded of my favorite HD engine ever, the Shovelhead. Nothing, IMO sounds better then a Shovel through drag pipes. I'd love to do a build that mates shovel jugs and heads to a TC bottom end. Wonder if anyone is doing that yet?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised with the problems you're having with the SE clutch. I rode a buddy's 120R equipped SG recently and while the clutch was a little stiff on the pull, nothing outrageous, and no sign of slippage. I read up on VPC and I hope it works for you. I gotta say, I'm a little skeptical with the concept. Basically, if I'm understanding correctly it uses the g-force created by the weights on the pressure plate to create more pressure on the friction discs and plates while reducing lever pull by repositioning the pivot point on the diaphragm spring. Sounds like a gimmick to me, but if it works as described in the ad and you confirm, I'm all in for one.
I am running an AIM VPC with stock basket, SE kevlar plates and an SE diaphragm clutch in my 120R equipped 06 Street Bob. The bike makes 139.92 hp and 133.7 tq at the tire and the clutch works bitchin. Clutch pull isn't overly aggressive and don't notice any slippage.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay...but you're still making progress in the right direction, Tony! These are the 'glitches' that bite us in the ***! People that don't do this kind of stuff (like my wife) have no clue or understanding as to all of the things that can (and usually do) 'go south' on us!

I feel your pain buddy...fighting my own demons down here in sunny Pensacola!

Keep us in the loop!

Steve

Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Prices range from $300 on up, cheaper if you don't need a clutch spring
Most guys, if not all, will need a spring upgrade. The 07 and up iirc have a very light spring that won't hardly hold at all. Like I stated a VPC does NOT add any spring pressure until the rpms of the clutch basket is sufficient to throw the weights into play. You can feel when that happens if you lay 2 fingers on the clutch lever, it will pulse or feel different when they swing into play. I would say that adding the 340 would be should work for most apps and AIM states that a 380 with the vpc will hold a procharger so that combo should work with no issues with a 120r. This is assuming a sound clutch to begin with and the proper primary fluid is used. I am using the billet pressure plate as well.

Quick Reply: Picked Up My SE 120R...