Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine Tuning my ViED

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Fine Tuning my ViED

I'm using the Variable iED on my 2010 FLHR. They are current set ring in the middle of the lean to rich setting at 14.0. I occasionally notice a small backfire or pop when shifting between 1st and 2nd. Any thoughts on how I could adjust the ViED to help solve that?? It really doesn't bother me and if I can't get it squared away I won't be loosing any sleep over it. But still thought I'd ask.

Oh, also I'm using the OE air intake but have gutted the OE head-pipe and using the 4" slash-down mufflers from Jackpot.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Steve at Nightrider is the best person to ask, I'm sure he could answer. Generally I understand decel popping being a function of being too lean - either an exhaust leak or too much enleanment on the decel tables in the map, which I dont think the ViEDs can affect.

Also, Steve told me to run at 25% once I get my catless head pipes, its a bit counterintuitive, you'd think you would want to add more, but he can explain.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I just found Steve's explanation to me of where you want to run the ViEDS when you are catless:

"You will have to alter the settings for removal of the converter. Generally the VIED's want settings around the 25% rich area once the converter is removed. This is actually to compensate for reversion bringing fresh air to the sensors (which is seen as a lean mixture and actually adds some fuel), so the VIED needs to be 'turned down' some to compensate. The net effect is you are still running (and adjusting) to get the ECM to run in closed loop at 14.0:1, but you have to back off on the VIED settings to stabilize the voltage readings with the lower settings because of the fresh air that can get to the O2 sensors with the conveter removed."

Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Catless

I've run catless for over 5k miles on my Vs with both front and rear set straight up center. Pulled the plugs a couple of weeks ago and the front was perfect; the rear slightly -- just slightly -- leaner. Once in a while I get an acceleration pop between 1st and 2nd; no decel pop at all. I'm headed for a weekend ride, so tweaked the rear adjustment one 'click' rich. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 AM
sg2007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my 2011 SG at 75% on my Vied,had the Harley stage 1 download installed.I also gutted my cat and installed a S/E air cleaner,I have the 3.5"Jackpots but removed the baffles and replaced them with 2" wildpig baffles.The bike runs strong and no decel pop.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I just found Steve's explanation to me of where you want to run the ViEDS when you are catless:

"You will have to alter the settings for removal of the converter. Generally the VIED's want settings around the 25% rich area once the converter is removed. This is actually to compensate for reversion bringing fresh air to the sensors (which is seen as a lean mixture and actually adds some fuel), so the VIED needs to be 'turned down' some to compensate. The net effect is you are still running (and adjusting) to get the ECM to run in closed loop at 14.0:1, but you have to back off on the VIED settings to stabilize the voltage readings with the lower settings because of the fresh air that can get to the O2 sensors with the conveter removed."
That's good info to right there! Thank you. I'm glad I asked b/c I was logically thinking I needed to richen the settings.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JetD
I've run catless for over 5k miles on my Vs with both front and rear set straight up center. Pulled the plugs a couple of weeks ago and the front was perfect; the rear slightly -- just slightly -- leaner. Once in a while I get an acceleration pop between 1st and 2nd; no decel pop at all. I'm headed for a weekend ride, so tweaked the rear adjustment one 'click' rich. I'll let you know how it goes.
JetD,

That is the identical situation I'm having too. Looking forward to hearing your results. Thank you for the input.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Wanted to bump this to see if you all had any success fine tuning your ViED's

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 12 ultra with v&h dresser duals and rounds. And v&h naked a/c. Running my vied at 3/4. No pops, pings, or knocks.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
gorillaman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JetD
I emailed Steve M. who said independent cylinder adjustment is fine but would not give any recommendations. What happened when you increased the rear cylinder that extra 10% ... ?

BTW: I run mine at the first notch... 10%
2010 FLHTP 103 catless V&H Power Dual Header 2-1-2
otherwise all stock.

Last edited by gorillaman; 04-20-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: Fine Tuning my ViED