Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable! Trim rings on with NO gap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a gap between ten and two o'clock. Bugs and crud will get in there and .... I took the POS back.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
cleanimages
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took off ring and put it back 10x and can't get rid of that gap! Drives me crazy. Did as directions said but no luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have no gap on the ring itself either. The gap I have that I would like to eliminate as much as possible is the one between the glass and the inside edge of the ring.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 01-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did everything and couldn't get rid of the gap, so I took off the stock ring, put some strips of sticky back foam on the inside of the new ring,,(make sure you use enough layers of foam so it clamp's down tight),,,no gap, looks great,,hasn't come off in two years,,

Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
HD_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a trick to modify the headlight bezel if you're using a "french" or "visor" trim ring. Harley wants you to install the OEM trim ring underneath the new trim ring. I find this to be a crappy way to do it. However, the new trim ring is too loose without it.

So, what I did was install a series of small screws around the headlight mounting bezel. With a small nut on each side, I can "extend" the screws out as much as needed. These screws fit inside the lip of the new trim ring, locking it onto the bezel. Now the new trim ring installs cleanly with absolutely no gap at the bottom while completely eliminating the "inner" OEM trim ring.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,302 Likes on 21,842 Posts

Good idea HD Rider.
I think that it is nice from a cosmetic/styling point of view.
You're still gonna get a ****-load full of bugs stuck in between the trim ring and light as is the nature of things though.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cleanimages
Took off ring and put it back 10x and can't get rid of that gap! Drives me crazy. Did as directions said but no luck.
The reason you can't get rid of the gap is because the OEM trim ring has a slightly larger diameter than the French ring. I pulled the OEM trim ring off my RKC, laid it inside the French ring and screwed it down as far as it would go. I still had the gap. I think I'll use HD_Rider's method.

DJK

The following users liked this post:
RJ69 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Rider
Here's a trick to modify the headlight bezel if you're using a "french" or "visor" trim ring. Harley wants you to install the OEM trim ring underneath the new trim ring. I find this to be a crappy way to do it. However, the new trim ring is too loose without it.

So, what I did was install a series of small screws around the headlight mounting bezel. With a small nut on each side, I can "extend" the screws out as much as needed. These screws fit inside the lip of the new trim ring, locking it onto the bezel. Now the new trim ring installs cleanly with absolutely no gap at the bottom while completely eliminating the "inner" OEM trim ring.
Great. Now, please find a good solution to move the trim ring flush with the glass. I'm tired of fishing for dead bugs inside the ring. <g>

By the way, my method for completely eliminating the gap between the 2 ends of the trim ring is to loosen the stock ring, place the trim ring over it, and then tighten the 2 alternatively, a little bit of each at a time, until there's barely enough room for a screwdriver to reach the stock ring screw between the 2 ends of the trim ring. Tighten the stock ring completely and you should now have no problem tightening the trim ring to completely close the gap. It worked for me.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 01-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:17 PM
RJ69
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Great. Now, please find a good solution to move the trim ring flush with the glass. I'm tired of fishing for dead bugs inside the ring. <g>

By the way, my method for completely eliminating the gap between the 2 ends of the trim ring is to loosen the stock ring, place the trim ring over it, and then tighten the 2 alternatively, a little bit of each at a time, until there's barely enough room for a screwdriver to reach the stock ring screw between the 2 ends of the trim ring. Tighten the stock ring completely and you should now have no problem tightening the trim ring to completely close the gap. It worked for me.
Do you have a picture of yours fitting correctly?

I've got a '14 SG and have been battling with this scenario for 5 years only....each time I deal with it I end up giving up....my last trip to the dealership the parts guy saw it and insisted that it's just not right....he pulled the instructions out and they match your description here...like mentioned in this thread earlier, this parts guy took off my stock ring and put it inside the trim and there's no way that trim ring can close because of the stock rings diameter ---- Also mentioned here already is the fact that the trim ring also seems too deep with 1/4"-3/8" of space between it and the face of the bulb----My trim ring is 5 years old and the new ones are the same - How can this be?...It just doesn't add up that HD would make something so off when the fixes to make it right seem so simple...........

Old 01-11-2022, 01:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,428 Posts

For HD_Rider, did you use any blue Loctite on those screws and nuts inside the bucket? I didn't see any mechanical means (lock washers) of preventing the hardware coming loose, ultimately, I'm sure the screws and nuts will loosen causing a rattle that will drive you crazy if you forget about the hardware behind the headlight. Not meant to bust your chops on a good job, Harleys have vibrations, and some rattles can drive you crazy.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable! Trim rings on with NO gap