Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouestions about installing monkey bars on a Road glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts
Default Ouestions about installing monkey bars on a Road glide

I know several people have done the install of Yaffe monkey bars on a Road Glide. So my question is if installing 16" monkey bars on a 09 CVO Road Glide. Will you need to remove the inner fairing to install the bars? If so Why?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

No, outer fairing only!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

outer fairing, tank, brake side side panel, and saddlebag. it looks pretty naked while your doing it. CHANGE THE JUNK FACTORY BAR BUSHINGS WHILE YOUR IN THERE TO POLYMER ONES. UNLESS YOU LIKE DOING STUFF LIKE THIS TWICE.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM
HD_Shock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also ...
I would suggest you either eliminate the green TBW plug by hard-wiring (soldering), or do like I did and just extend the TBW wires so the connector lives in the fairing instead of the bars. My bars have smooth bends so much easier to pull wires than the Monkey bars ... but relocating that bulky plug to the fairing made the wire pull much, much easier. I wouldn't think of keeping the plug in the bars with the Yaffes. You'll probably also need longer clutch and brake cables.

There's some good how-tos on Road Glide bar installs in the Handlebar section at a roadglide.org

Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have a buddy having it done and just was curious. I didn't know if it had to be removed or not. The dealer is billing 8 - 10 hours to do it so I was wondering why. The monkey bars look good esp on a Road Glide. Thanks again. Rick

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It takes a while, brake line, clutch line replacement, brake bleeding, wiring, etc.

BUT...it's a great time to go with a painted inner fairing! REALLY makes a big difference!! Finishes the look nicely.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Yea I really like a painted inner fairing. It really sets the bike off. I wish I could paint, it would be nice to do it yourself.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Yea I really like a painted inner fairing. It really sets the bike off. I wish I could paint, it would be nice to do it yourself.
Looking to sell mine (stock inner fairing), figure someone will take it on as a project while they can still ride their bike.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
Thanks for all the replies. I have a buddy having it done and just was curious. I didn't know if it had to be removed or not. The dealer is billing 8 - 10 hours to do it so I was wondering why. The monkey bars look good esp on a Road Glide. Thanks again. Rick
8-10 hours????? a buddy just had the dealer install mini apes with internal wires and was charged 4 hours labor.

That seems real high to me.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a EG Ultra and the local stealer here wanted 8-10 hours at $85/hour so I am installing my LA Choppers Prime Apes myself this week.

Quick Reply: Ouestions about installing monkey bars on a Road glide