Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brass balls

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
JRGarrett
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brass *****

I recently had a outer cam chain tensioner failure on my 05 TC 88. While removing the cam plate to install a new gear drive setup this chunk of brass fell out into my drain pan.It's about 1/4" square by 1/8 thick.The piece has some radial score maks on one side and looks like its been bouncing around in there for awhile. I have read several posts about brass or bronze in the oil filter and I have seen that on my bike but I never saw a big chunk like this. The cam bushing in the cam plate looks good so now I'm scratching my head as to where this could have come from. I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this was already covered. Any opinions are welcome. Going to try and attach a pic. thanks again.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JRGarrett
I recently had a outer cam chain tensioner failure on my 05 TC 88. While removing the cam plate to install a new gear drive setup this chunk of brass fell out into my drain pan.It's about 1/4" square by 1/8 thick.The piece has some radial score maks on one side and looks like its been bouncing around in there for awhile. I have read several posts about brass or bronze in the oil filter and I have seen that on my bike but I never saw a big chunk like this. The cam bushing in the cam plate looks good so now I'm scratching my head as to where this could have come from. I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this was already covered. Any opinions are welcome. Going to try and attach a pic. thanks again.
The rods have brass on them where the wrist pins go through. Got any pictures?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
JRGarrett
5th Gear
Default here's a pic

Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
The rods have brass on them where the wrist pins go through. Got any pictures?
Thats the only place I can think of with that much brass but I cant see the pic?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
JRGarrett
5th Gear

Originally Posted by soft 02
Thats the only place I can think of with that much brass but I cant see the pic?
The brass bushing in the small end of the connecting rod is very similar to the cam bushing in the cam plate as far as thickness of material. You cant see it in the picture but this mystery nugget is 0.061 thick. still scratching my head?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Picture is not showing up.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
JRGarrett
5th Gear
Default Hopefully this pic shows up

Attached Thumbnails Brass balls-brass-chunk-crop-22.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Did the tensioner have a complete come apart? Is it a piece of the tensioner?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
JRGarrett
5th Gear

Originally Posted by skydude426
Did the tensioner have a complete come apart? Is it a piece of the tensioner?
Yes the tensioner did come apart but this is not a piece of the plastic shoe from the tensioner. Its a chunk of brass. Also oil pump sproters cracked but thats normal with this type of problem. From everything i've read and pictures i've seen i cant figure out where on a TC 88 there a peice that matches the thickness of this little nugget. If it was from the transmission then ok. but i only opened up the cam cover.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JRGarrett
Yes the tensioner did come apart but this is not a piece of the plastic shoe from the tensioner. Its a chunk of brass. Also oil pump sproters cracked but thats normal with this type of problem. From everything i've read and pictures i've seen i cant figure out where on a TC 88 there a peice that matches the thickness of this little nugget. If it was from the transmission then ok. but i only opened up the cam cover.
How would a piece from the transmission get in there??

Quick Reply: Brass balls