Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?

Got a 2012 Limited and the Big Brown Truck should be dropping off my Zumo 660 on Friday.

I'm trying to get a handle on the best way to wire it for power. I know there are lots of ways to do it, but I think I want to wire it so that the Accessory Switch on the Fairing Cap controls it. That way, if it ever needs a "reboot" while riding, I have a way to cut power to the GPS without having to pull over to the side of the road and shut off the bike.

Here is a picture from under the seat

There are two connectors not hooked to anything, a larger Black one and a smaller Grey one. Are one of these the connector for the Accessory Switch, or do I have to actually tap into the "Accessory P&A" fuse on the fuse panel?

Also, I think the wiring for the GPS has an inline fuse connector so you can just direct wire it to the battery if you want to. Seeing that I will be wiring it to a circuit that is already fused, I can just cut out the inline fuse connector correct?

Or, would it hurt anything to just leave the inline fuse connector there, and basically have it "double fused".

Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I used the fairing mount, yes you have to put some small holes in the inner fairing, and wired it the way is was described. That uses the accessory wires tied to the headlight bundle. Works great. Others have wired tapping off the cigarette lighter, but have blown fuses if the receptacle is used for something else like a phone charger.

Some people freak out if they have to make a hole in the faring, then make all kind of other modifications that have a possible worse effect on the bike. The motorcycle is mine and I find the fairing mount works for me. May not be to your liking though. I also made another hole in the inner faring beside the GPS fairing mount, and installed another odometer reset switch connected to my garage door opener which is Velcro-ed to the inside of the inner fairing. Again, what works for me may not for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus one on what was said above.

I have a 12 limited and it has a wire dedicated for the GPS under the fairing...take out the headlight bucket and look at the headlamp wires...
I also used the fairing harley fairing mount...clean clean installation. This is the way to go. I wish I could find a fairing mount to fit my XM Roady

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?-dsc_0101-large-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chunker
I used the fairing mount, yes you have to put some small holes in the inner fairing, and wired it the way is was described. That uses the accessory wires tied to the headlight bundle. Works great. Others have wired tapping off the cigarette lighter, but have blown fuses if the receptacle is used for something else like a phone charger.

Some people freak out if they have to make a hole in the faring, then make all kind of other modifications that have a possible worse effect on the bike. The motorcycle is mine and I find the fairing mount works for me. May not be to your liking though. I also made another hole in the inner faring beside the GPS fairing mount, and installed another odometer reset switch connected to my garage door opener which is Velcro-ed to the inside of the inner fairing. Again, what works for me may not for you.
Chunker, I went with the Handlebar Mount because I've got 14" Bagger Apes. With the Apes, the bars block being able to see the GPS a little.

I was thinking about wiring to the Headlight, but I've got the Harley Garage Door Opener already wired to the extra wire(Orange/White if I remember correctly) and I was afraid of a power disruption to the Zumo if I hit the Brights (which activate the Opener).

Not sure though, might not cause a problem.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 12limited
Plus one on what was said above.

I have a 12 limited and it has a wire dedicated for the GPS under the fairing...take out the headlight bucket and look at the headlamp wires...
I also used the fairing harley fairing mount...clean clean installation. This is the way to go. I wish I could find a fairing mount to fit my XM Roady
Which wire do you mean, is it this one (Orange/White)?

The extra wires you see are for my Garage Door Opener.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TallDog,
The grey connector in your photo is the A+ connector. It is a single line to the hot battery connection. No ground there. The other is your accessory connectory and has 3 or 4 leads. One is hot with the accessory switch. Don't have my service manual here so I can not give the color coding.
I will be wiring mine up in the spring and chose to use a powerlet outlet/mount with a Ram arm. My thinking was I wanted a power outlet up front that I could plug in my battery tender, or a phone for charging, or the GPS when riding. It seems to be a good solution for me. That said, because I plan to use it for the batter tender I will be wiring that directly to the battery and then will be cutting the Zumo wiring shork and wiring a powerlet plug to the end. That way I will be able to just unplug the GPS and remove the ram arm to take the whole thing off just leaving the small chrome powerlet socket on the the bars.

Last edited by bthinnes; 01-12-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bthinnes
TallDog,
The grey connector in your photo is the A+ connector. It is a single line to the hot battery connection. No ground there. The other is your accessory connectory and has 3 or 4 leads. One is hot with the accessory switch. Don't have my service manual here so I can not give the color coding.
I will be wiring mine up in the spring and chose to use a powerlet outlet/mount with a Ram arm. My thinking was I wanted a power outlet up front that I could plug in my battery tender, or a phone for charging, or the GPS when riding. It seems to be a good solution for me. That said, because I plan to use it for the batter tender I will be wiring that directly to the battery and then will be cutting the Zumo wiring shork and wiring a powerlet plug to the end. That way I will be able to just unplug the GPS and remove the ram arm to take the whole thing off just leaving the small chrome powerlet socket on the the bars.
Thanks, guess I'll have to wait until I get the GPS to see what kind of a connector it comes with. Might have to make a trip to the dealer to see what kind of adapter might be available to connect to the switched plug.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Which wire do you mean, is it this one (Orange/White)?

The extra wires you see are for my Garage Door Opener.
I am not sure...Mine had a pair of wires that kicked off the wiring harness before the head lamp black plug...it had a red plastic cap on it. The wires were small gauge, like 18 AWG. I do not remember my 660 coming with a plug to match the power plug on the bike. I clipped it off and made the connections.
You have a 2012 Limited right? I should be the same. Purchased mine Aug 27 2011.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 12limited
I am not sure...Mine had a pair of wires that kicked off the wiring harness before the head lamp black plug...it had a red plastic cap on it. The wires were small gauge, like 18 AWG. I do not remember my 660 coming with a plug to match the power plug on the bike. I clipped it off and made the connections.
You have a 2012 Limited right? I should be the same. Purchased mine Aug 27 2011.
Can't remember for sure, I wired the Opener a while ago, I might have cut the Connector off when I wired the Opener?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If all you need is the ability to reboot while on the road..... wire it to switched 12v.... and use the ......wait for it....... power switch on the GPS

Quick Reply: Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?