Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I have it set to the accessory/ignition switch and it will stay on for hours, even through lunch if I forgot it. For gas I just leave it on, for lunch I shut it off using the off/on button on the unit, for overnight, I flip the accessory switch off cutting power to the unit. Having it on a switch, either ignition or accessory is a good idea as the new lithium units could keep charging the battery if left off but connected to a live feed.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 12limited
I have had a 660 since 2009 and also purchase lifetime maps from the Garmin website...so I have my GPS connected to the web to get the map updates...It also updates or upgrades your operating software to fix any bugs that may have surfaced. These were brand new and I had some occasions when it acted stupid but not in a couple of years. I have seen some nice little features appear after these upgrades. Even if you do not buy the life time maps, you can still get the software updates...I think you might need an update if it is not booting right or hanging up. This is not just related to the 660...There is operating software updates for all of them occasionally.
You gonna love it no matter how you install it.
Limited,

One of the reasons I decided to buy it now and not wait until Spring was Garmin's/Harley's free lifetime map updates promotion.

Bought the GPS from Surdyke at 20% off, no tax, free shipping, and with the free map updates, it was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

I still think it was way overpriced compared to what Auto GPS units cost, but we gotta pay for that "Harley" script on it.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Just wondering out loud, if I had to stop for gas and shut the bike off, even though the GPS is hardwired, wouldn't the Battery in the GPS keep the current route loaded?

I don't actually have the GPS "in hand" yet, is the reason for all these dumb questions.
As someone else stated, I do believe you could keep the GPS live by pushing the battery button. My 550 gives a countdown for shutting off with a button on the screen asking if you want to use battery back up.

I did forget about that option so I'm glad someone else pointed it out.

I do not normally use that option on mine so that might be why I forgot about it. My 550 has the external antenna/satellite radio receiver and I listen to satellite radio when riding. If I remember correctly, if I turn off the bike and keep the GPS on with the battery, the satellite radio will not work when I start the bike. I'm thinking it only works when connected to a power source. So, if I used the battery to keep it on for a few minutes, I'd have to cycle it off and on again to get the satellite radio to work. At least that's what I remember and that's why I don't use the battery back up.

I'm not sure if the satellite radio option works the same or not for the 66x series units or if you even will access the satellite radio option.

Anyway, it's something to think about when you're hooking everything up.

In regards to the cost of the HD version of the GPS, one thing to keep in mind if you ever want to use the accessory called the navigation interface module is that it only works with the HD version and not the standard Garmin version.

Good luck in figuring all this out.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Limited,

One of the reasons I decided to buy it now and not wait until Spring was Garmin's/Harley's free lifetime map updates promotion.

Bought the GPS from Surdyke at 20% off, no tax, free shipping, and with the free map updates, it was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

I still think it was way overpriced compared to what Auto GPS units cost, but we gotta pay for that "Harley" script on it.
I'm familiar with the Surdyke site but I can't find anything regarding the free map updates promotion? Where can this information be found?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I'm familiar with the Surdyke site but I can't find anything regarding the free map updates promotion? Where can this information be found?
Too late, the promotion ended Dec 31st. Only thing that's saving me is that I ordered the GPS mid-December, but it was on backorder and I will just be getting it tomorrow.

I have paperwork showing that I ordered it prior to the deadline though so they will still honor the promotion(I called to check).

Basically, not my fault it was on backorder.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your wondering out loud question, yes the route would stay loaded and start back up with the bike, or as someone pointed out about another model, the 660/665 will also prompt you when you turn off the bike. It will say something like powering down in 30 seconds do you wish to stay on, yes or no. Then you can select yes if you wish and it will stay on, or hit no, and it will power off immediately. If you make no selection, then when the time is up, off it goes.

I also have mine connected to the headlight harness, and have never thought about or needed to reboot the unit.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Copyless
To answer your wondering out loud question, yes the route would stay loaded and start back up with the bike, or as someone pointed out about another model, the 660/665 will also prompt you when you turn off the bike. It will say something like powering down in 30 seconds do you wish to stay on, yes or no. Then you can select yes if you wish and it will stay on, or hit no, and it will power off immediately. If you make no selection, then when the time is up, off it goes.

I also have mine connected to the headlight harness, and have never thought about or needed to reboot the unit.
Thanks!! Appreciate the info.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I just hard wired my 660 to my battery. I might be lazy but I just hated having to always push the button to tell it to stay on when I stopped and turned of the bike. With it hooked to the battery it doesn't turn off when you start the bike. I know some people worry about leaving it on all the time. I only turn it off when I stop for lunch or the night. I have had mine for two years now and it has never locked up on me.
I don't have the Harley version which sucks when trying to find a dealer. And I asked if I could buy an add on or something but was told no. There are some points of interest sites that have people who have put together a list of all the dealers.

If you go to the Garmin site and register your GPS there are some nice new downloads in the garage. They have some new screens and vehicles. It sounds like you got a good deal on yours with the updates included.

I just installed my new mount for mine on my bike.

Added a clip to hold the wire to the side of the housing. Wish I could find a small plastic black wire stay.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 01-12-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Wildman, very clean install, I like it!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
...I don't have the Harley version which sucks when trying to find a dealer. And I asked if I could buy an add on or something but was told no. There are some points of interest sites that have people who have put together a list of all the dealers...
In regards to a dealer data base and POI (points of interest files), I found one on www.zumoforums.com that contains an updated listing of HD dealers around the country. The web site has the file and instructions on how to install it on your GPS. I wasn't sure if you wanted one and could not find one or not, so I thought I'd share at least one place where you can find one. They also update the file every few months to ensure the listing of dealers is current.

This file does not update the files on a Harley version of the GPS. It is a separate file and if you install it on a HD system with the original dealer locater file, you will have two dealer locater methods. You can install it on the HD version or the Zumo version GPS if you choose to do so.

Another tip I got from that site is how to install maps on an SD card. As the maps are updated, the files holding the maps seem to get larger and larger. I wanted to keep maps for all the U.S. on my system so I had to install the maps on an SD card. That web site had instructions on how to do that. Without the SD card, only a portion of the U.S. map can be installed on the GPS.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?