Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
Shooter beat me to it, like he said, that's for tying in to the "B" always hot connector under the seat.

I think what I'm gonna do is just hook into the Orange/White and Black wires by the Headlight connector. As long as I can do a hard re-boot with the battery, I see no need to have it switched.

You guys saved me some work!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,672 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I used the 91843-97. While it comes with a cigarette socket, I just cut that off. The Duestsch plugs right into the black deutsch under the seat and is controlled by both the ignition and switch on the Nacelle. They run between $ 15.00 and $ 19.00 depending on where you buy it.

It saved a lot of work for me when I installed my garmin. Mine is soldered to a wire wire flat plug and I did the same with the garmin lead.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have mine hard wired as well. Occasionally it acts up and needs to reboot. You can remove the battery or a much quicker way is to hold down the + and the power button at the same time for about five seconds. This will force a reboot without even having to remove the GPS from the cradle.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
I have mine hard wired as well. Occasionally it acts up and needs to reboot. You can remove the battery or a much quicker way is to hold down the + and the power button at the same time for about five seconds. This will force a reboot without even having to remove the GPS from the cradle.
The 660 doesn't have a + button

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with some of the other posts. If the unit ever does lock up, chances are that you will not be able to reboot it simply by turning off the power. You'll probably have to remove the battery.

If that's the case, there's nothing to be gained by removing the gas tank and tapping into the accessory switch. It would be much easier just to find a switched hot wire in the fairing and tap into it. The GPS pulls so little current that it's doubtful that it will put any strain on anything you use as a power supply.

The only advantage I can see to tapping into anything else would be to tap into a source that was hot all the time and turn the unit off and on with the switch on it. The advantage would be in that if you are using the GPS to guide you and you stop for gas when restarting the bike you'll have to wait for the system to boot and reload the map and route. This does not usually take long but I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get going again.

The downside of doing it that way is that you'll have to remember to turn it off each time you get off the bike.

You'll need to figure out what's more important to you and wire it to suit that.

For my 550, I tapped into one of the headlight wires. The unit goes on and off with the ignition.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Shooter
I have the Zumo 550. I must have assumed Incorectly that the two models were built similar. I still bet it has this override feature somewhere. Most electronic devices have a way to reboot them. May be as simple as holding down the power button. I know on the 450 and 550 you have to hold the + and power button but saves taking out the battery which on mine is held in by a small screw. I have a connector in line so I can remove the whole cradle. When it locks up unplugging the power does nothing as to a reboot. The artery has to be removed or hold down the buttons for a hard reboot.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Shooter
I have the Zumo 550. I must have assumed Incorectly that the two models were built similar. I still bet it has this override feature somewhere. Most electronic devices have a way to reboot them. May be as simple as holding down the power button. I know on the 450 and 550 you have to hold the + and power button but saves taking out the battery which on mine is held in by a small screw. I have a connector in line so I can remove the whole cradle. When it locks up unplugging the power does nothing as to a reboot. The artery has to be removed or hold down the buttons for a hard reboot.
It's been a long time since I had to do the reboot on my 660.... but I think it's press and hold the lower right corner of the screen and press the power button. Or something like that. Only did it once..... and it was long ago.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I agree with some of the other posts. If the unit ever does lock up, chances are that you will not be able to reboot it simply by turning off the power. You'll probably have to remove the battery.

If that's the case, there's nothing to be gained by removing the gas tank and tapping into the accessory switch. It would be much easier just to find a switched hot wire in the fairing and tap into it. The GPS pulls so little current that it's doubtful that it will put any strain on anything you use as a power supply.

The only advantage I can see to tapping into anything else would be to tap into a source that was hot all the time and turn the unit off and on with the switch on it. The advantage would be in that if you are using the GPS to guide you and you stop for gas when restarting the bike you'll have to wait for the system to boot and reload the map and route. This does not usually take long but I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get going again.

The downside of doing it that way is that you'll have to remember to turn it off each time you get off the bike.

You'll need to figure out what's more important to you and wire it to suit that.

For my 550, I tapped into one of the headlight wires. The unit goes on and off with the ignition.
Just wondering out loud, if I had to stop for gas and shut the bike off, even though the GPS is hardwired, wouldn't the Battery in the GPS keep the current route loaded?

I don't actually have the GPS "in hand" yet, is the reason for all these dumb questions.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Still got ya.... if a 660 is messed up enough that you have to reboot it.... you need to remove the battery to clear it.

Most of the time the power switch will fix things. If it doesn't then you have to remove the battery.

The good news is, the 660 is actually very stable. I have only had to hard boot mine ONCE.
I have had a 660 since 2009 and also purchase lifetime maps from the Garmin website...so I have my GPS connected to the web to get the map updates...It also updates or upgrades your operating software to fix any bugs that may have surfaced. These were brand new and I had some occasions when it acted stupid but not in a couple of years. I have seen some nice little features appear after these upgrades. Even if you do not buy the life time maps, you can still get the software updates...I think you might need an update if it is not booting right or hanging up. This is not just related to the 660...There is operating software updates for all of them occasionally.
You gonna love it no matter how you install it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Talldog
Just wondering out loud, if I had to stop for gas and shut the bike off, even though the GPS is hardwired, wouldn't the Battery in the GPS keep the current route loaded?

I don't actually have the GPS "in hand" yet, is the reason for all these dumb questions.

Yes it will hold the route.... and when you shut off the bike it asks if you want to stay powered with internal power, and then does a countdown before it shuts off.

Quick Reply: Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?