Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
If all you need is the ability to reboot while on the road..... wire it to switched 12v.... and use the ......wait for it....... power switch on the GPS
Shooter,

If it's like the Garmin GPS I have in my truck, occassionally, it starts acting goofy and has to be re-booted.

You can't just turn it off though, it needs to be disconnected from the power altogether.

No big deal in the truck, you just pull the plug from the Cigarettt Lighter, but on the bike, when it's hardwired, little harder to do.

Thought ya had me there didn't ya

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Shooter,

If it's like the Garmin GPS I have in my truck, occassionally, it starts acting goofy and has to be re-booted.

You can't just turn it off though, it needs to be disconnected from the power altogether.

No big deal in the truck, you just pull the plug from the Cigarettt Lighter, but on the bike, when it's hardwired, little harder to do.

Thought ya had me there didn't ya

Still got ya.... if a 660 is messed up enough that you have to reboot it.... you need to remove the battery to clear it.

Most of the time the power switch will fix things. If it doesn't then you have to remove the battery.

The good news is, the 660 is actually very stable. I have only had to hard boot mine ONCE.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Still got ya.... if a 660 is messed up enough that you have to reboot it.... you need to remove the battery to clear it.

Most of the time the power switch will fix things. If it doesn't then you have to remove the battery.

The good news is, the 660 is actually very stable. I have only had to hard boot mine ONCE.
Ok, ya might have me there.

Didn't realize you could just pop the battery out of the GPS (not getting the GPS until tomorrow).

You might have just saved me a bunch of time, if I can do a hard re-boot by just popping out the battery, no need for having a switched connection.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, ya might have me there.

Didn't realize you could just pop the battery out of the GPS (not getting the GPS until tomorrow).

You might have just saved me a bunch of time, if I can do a hard re-boot by just popping out the battery, no need for having a switched connection.

Thanks!

To pull the battery, you need to take it out of the cradle, then there is a slider latch to remove the battery cover. Same cover that hides the USB connector.

Can't be done while riding, unless you like crashing. But like I said the 660 is really stable, so doing the hard boot would be really rare.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember the part number but Harley sells an adaptor that turns the accessory wire behind the headlight into a two wire setup so you can run two items. That is what I used on my limited to power the garage door opener and my roadtech 660.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guess I'll have to wait until I get the GPS to see what kind of a connector it comes with. Might have to make a trip to the dealer to see what kind of adapter might be available to connect to the switched plug.
If you bought the RoadTech version from a Harley dealer it will come with bare ends on the wiring harness for the mount. Do a search in this forum and you should find other articles with pictures. Sorry I am at work and can not get to my pictures. Perhaps tonight I can take some pictures of my wiring as it sits waiting to be installed.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I mounted my 665 on the right side of the fairing opposite of where the Harley mount is, I made my own mount, if you go to Harley they will sell you a plug to plug into the acc plug under your seat, but I just used a meter and found out which wire on the acc connector was operated by the switch and tapped in just like you did in your pictures and ran it under the tank to the Zumo, I was able to just "fish" a coat hanger thru without removing the tank. Like was said my 665 is very stable and never have to reboot it.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?-zumo-mount1_0003.jpg   Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?-zumo-mount1_0004.jpg   Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?-zumo-mount1_0005.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrchdog
I don't remember the part number but Harley sells an adaptor that turns the accessory wire behind the headlight into a two wire setup so you can run two items. That is what I used on my limited to power the garage door opener and my roadtech 660.
Hmmm... Got me thinking now.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Hmmm... Got me thinking now.
Possibly this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

part # 70270-04

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chunker
That one is for always hot (not switched) coming off of the battery... here's the directions http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02819.pdf

This will let you tie into the ACC under the seat. It's what I used so I wouldn't be splicing into the OEM wires.

70264-94

Last edited by shooter5074; 01-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Wiring Zumo 660 to Accessory Switch?