Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't run 142mm MU85b-16 rear tire on 02 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012 | 10:13 AM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior
Default Can't run 142mm MU85b-16 rear tire on 02 Road King

I have heard alot of guys say that they run a MU85b-16 (142mm) rear tire on their pre-04 touring bikes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Had a tire mounted and when I went to install it, not only did the belt rub on the tire (solved with spacer), but the left side of the tire rubbed on the inside of the fender.

Standing behind the bike the wheel was obviously off centered—pushed to the left. Did a bit of research and it appears that FLH's rear tires tend to be off center a bit. The thicker rear tire really showed how much. Pulled the spacers to completely center the tire just to see how everything would line up and right rotor hits inside of rear brake caliper. So its not a spacer issue, its that the wheel is off set to the left. Now I have a OEM 130mm (MT90b-16) tire coming from Dennis Kirk and have to get them switched out. Sucks because I really wanted the thicker rear tire, extra thread depth, and heavier load capacity that came with the MU85.

If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears, otherwise I'm going back to 130mm.

Attached Thumbnails Can't run 142mm MU85b-16 rear tire on 02 Road King-off-center.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012 | 10:43 AM
eathomps
Cruiser

My '02 Road Glide is the same way. I've seen posts where people say you can run them with just trimming the belt guard. I can't slide my skinny fingers between the stock tire and fender, so I've accepted that it isn't going to happen. Bummer to already have the tire mounted to find out it won't work.

Old 01-11-2012 | 10:44 AM
AutoImage
Novice

This something I have wanted to know as well, hope someone has an answer

Old 01-11-2012 | 10:50 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Intersting because I have been running the MU90HB-16 Dunlop 402 and Elite III for years on my 1999 RK with zero clearance issues. The MU is the 140 mm tire. hmmm

Old 01-11-2012 | 11:34 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

I installed a MU on a '02 RKC recently with no issues. Don't remember any specifics on it though as far as spacers, belt guard etc.

Old 01-11-2012 | 11:44 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

i have a 160/60/18 on the back of my 04 road king/glide. It looks bad *** and did not require any modifications to the rear fender. it is on a 18 X 4.25 wheel. I did have to trim the belt guard so it would not rub, other than that no issue. Might be time to update the pre 02 bike to the post 02 swingarm.

Old 01-11-2012 | 12:40 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Wish I knew why it wouldn't work, and from what I understand many have been able to do it. The only thing I can think to make it work would be to mill down the right side of the mounting bracket for the brake caliper by roughly 3/8" so that I can slid the tire over while keeping the rotor centered in the caliper, and then getting a 3/8" longer spacer for the left side. That should center up the wheel in the fender and give me clearance, but then I could have alignment issues with the belt and pulley. So needless to say its easier to simply run the 130mm rear tire instead.

Old 01-11-2012 | 12:48 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

You should have the bike checked for total alignment. I understand that is a possibility. Like the front end of your car. If it's out your going to know it. This just might be the visual needed to know just that. Good luck with it either way. Let us know what cures it.

aka Bob

Old 01-11-2012 | 12:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I have heard alot of guys say that they run a MU85b-16 (142mm) rear tire on their pre-04 touring bikes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Had a tire mounted and when I went to install it, not only did the belt rub on the tire (solved with spacer), but the left side of the tire rubbed on the inside of the fender.
Your bike is probably out of alignment, and I don't mean the wheel not being straight in the swingarm. Because your engine, transmission, and swingarm are all hooked together they can be moved by adjusting the Heim joints at the bottom front motor mount and at the top motor mount that connects the cylinders at the heads. This won't solve your belt rubbing problem, but you can get the tire centered in the fender.

Old 01-11-2012 | 01:04 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Your bike is probably out of alignment, and I don't mean the wheel not being straight in the swingarm. Because your engine, transmission, and swingarm are all hooked together they can be moved by adjusting the Heim joints at the bottom front motor mount and at the top motor mount that connects the cylinders at the heads. This won't solve your belt rubbing problem, but you can get the tire centered in the fender.
If the engine/transmission/rear wheel are out of alignment would that really bring the wheel over 1/4" or more? Seems like a lot. I asked that question to Harley dealer service guy and he said that if the bike was out of alignment that the tire would be crooked, not pulled over to one side and still fairly straight. Course he could be completely wrong.

Quick Reply: Can't run 142mm MU85b-16 rear tire on 02 Road King