Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centramatic tire balancing system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I have a hard time actually finding the weights on my bike, LOL
One of the reason's I went with Dynabeads, I have the chrome Profile laced wheels. The ugly lead stick on weight's stand out like a sore thumb. I could have used weight's that fit around the spokes, But the Db's have been doing a great job for over 30K miles.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 109 Posts

I've never used dynabeads so this is second hand information but I'll share it anyways. I have a friend with a Yamaha FJR. Both he and I change and balance our own tires. A few months ago he said he was going to try dynabeads at his next tire change. I suggested to him - why don't you balance the tire conventionally, and then add some dynabeads simply to keep the tire in balance as it wears throughout its life. So that's what he did.

We went on a week long ride and after a few days he said the first thing he's doing when he gets home is to remove the beads. We were riding pretty aggressively through a lot of winding roads including the Dragon's Tail. Everytime he hit a bump he said he could feel the balance change as the beads were being jarred around within the tire.

Again, this isn't my experience, but rather the experience of a good friend whose judgement I trust (most of the time LOL).

I've never read a bad review of dynabeads here but I never talked to anyone who actually used them. Now I know one person who has actually used them and he was not impressed.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes a lot of sense on paper, but at speed and the number of revolutions the tire makes and all the other vibrations and noise I cant believe anyone is cabpable of "Everytime he hit a bump he said he could feel the balance change as the beads were being jarred around within the tire. "
So I'm callin BS on that. Even though it makes perfect sense.

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I've never used dynabeads so this is second hand information but I'll share it anyways. I have a friend with a Yamaha FJR. Both he and I change and balance our own tires. A few months ago he said he was going to try dynabeads at his next tire change. I suggested to him - why don't you balance the tire conventionally, and then add some dynabeads simply to keep the tire in balance as it wears throughout its life. So that's what he did.

We went on a week long ride and after a few days he said the first thing he's doing when he gets home is to remove the beads. We were riding pretty aggressively through a lot of winding roads including the Dragon's Tail. Everytime he hit a bump he said he could feel the balance change as the beads were being jarred around within the tire.

Again, this isn't my experience, but rather the experience of a good friend whose judgement I trust (most of the time LOL).

I've never read a bad review of dynabeads here but I never talked to anyone who actually used them. Now I know one person who has actually used them and he was not impressed.

The following users liked this post:
Ughlee (04-19-2016)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 548 Posts

I've got several thousand miles using Dyna beads on two different bikes now. I never feel them when I go over bumps, and in Colorado I ride twisties as much as possible, including the Million Dollar Highway this weekend.

I don't see using lead stick-on weights again for the bikes...

Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM

DynaBeads IN My Experience have worked flawlessly for me in 2 different bikes (one had radial tubeless tires and one with bias-ply tubed).

The price for the beads is very affordable, they work great, and I see no reason to use any type of external balancing device.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Iam getting ready to put a set of Michelin's on my scoot and I'll be going the old lead route for balancing, unless I find a set of free dynabeads........lol

Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
This makes a lot of sense on paper, but at speed and the number of revolutions the tire makes and all the other vibrations and noise I cant believe anyone is cabpable of "Everytime he hit a bump he said he could feel the balance change as the beads were being jarred around within the tire. "
So I'm callin BS on that. Even though it makes perfect sense.
Like I said, this was not my experience. I was passing on the experience of a good friend.

And after reading your response I realized I did make an error in my first post. I shouldn't have said "everytime he hit a bump..." What I should have stated is that "on some of the more severe bumps..."

Another thing to consider is his bike. A Yamaha FJR is lighter, more responsive and nimble than most Harley's and the scenario he described would be easier to detect on that bike.

Last edited by 2black1s; 09-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,811 Likes on 3,492 Posts

I have used dyna beads and the inside of the tire looked intact... now i am using ride on gel and puncture sealer and it does as well plus a tire sealer...i still leave the weights on.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Just had a long talk with a couple old timers. One said the ceramic beads break and leave sharp edged particles flying around the inside of your tire. The other guy said you will have to grind down your disk lock if you have a balance wheel. They both have the Centramatic ring and love them. I still can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$$. The good old fashioned lead weights always worked fine for me.
The balance wheels are pretty unobtrusive though.
They both said they had no problem with hard bumps.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Another thought - if any of these balancing systems really worked, why are there so many riders not haveing any success with them?

If the balancers did what we are told they will do there should be no complaints. It's either smooth or it's not smooth.

If the results were 100% positive, I would think about getting a system, but there's too many negitives for me to invest in one----especially $200+.

Quick Reply: Centramatic tire balancing system?