Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with a rider backrest.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:25 PM
NewAge
|
Road Master
Default For those with a rider backrest.....

So, I've finally had to succumb to the pain of a back injury from my time in the Marines and buy a rider backrest. I thought the Sundowner seat would help, but hasn't at all. Next step after the backrest will be a set of apes, maybe. Wish the VA had a program to pay for that kinda stuff . I'm 25 and on good days feel like I'm 50. Maybe the next step should be a walker lol.

My question for those that have one, how difficult is the assembly? I ordered the adjustable backrest Harley makes. Can't imagine it being much more than a few bolts really.

Was just curious how easy/difficult/pain in the **** it can be.

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:29 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser

very simple installation, a few bolts under the seat, then bolt a cable lever bracket to the frame in front of the seat on the left side ... about an hour total. good luck

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:30 PM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
So, I've finally had to succumb to the pain of a back injury from my time in the Marines and buy a rider backrest. I thought the Sundowner seat would help, but hasn't at all. Next step after the backrest will be a set of apes, maybe. Wish the VA had a program to pay for that kinda stuff . I'm 25 and on good days feel like I'm 50. Maybe the next step should be a walker lol.

My question for those that have one, how difficult is the assembly? I ordered the adjustable backrest Harley makes. Can't imagine it being much more than a few bolts really.

Was just curious how easy/difficult/pain in the **** it can be.
Very easy to install. Took me about 30 min. Just be careful not to over torque the nuts. Don't ask me how I know!

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:34 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Easy install, you'll love the backrest ! It will also help you by letting you sit more upright, keeping your spine straighter.

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:35 PM
NewAge
|
Road Master

Awesome, that's what I was thinkin. Thanks for the info y'all.

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Imo the big hd pad with the cable was ugly. I took it off. Put sg cvo pad. Love it! It too is adjustable but i never have to adjust it.

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:40 PM
NewAge
|
Road Master

Gliden, not too sure what the big HD pad is. I chose the pad with the SG stitching to match my seats and tour pak backrest. Hopefully it's not big and ugly - and if it is, please let it be comfy at least! Lol

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:43 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Hey Bud, thanks for your service. The adjustable backrest is no doubt the way to go. It folds forward to help getting on the scoot, and easy adjustment on the fly. To be honest, the instructions are very poor, look them over, remove the seat and just go at it. It's not bad. Take your time with it, and you will do fine. When it's over, you will agree you made the right choice. Easy to remove, one little release on the side, no problem. No problem at all. BTW- you did right to match the pad. Gotta flow, ya know...

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:49 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Sorry...i bought this big cable adjustable backrest. It had this fugly steal bar that i just ssid "oh no no"....
Its all about what you like personally. For me i liked the smaller cvo sg pad.
Semper fi brother!

Last edited by Gliden; 01-10-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling fat fingers
Old 01-10-2012 | 06:55 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
From: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter

I always thought ugly, would not want it would not own one.
My buddy all but gave me one so I installed it (easy job) and now I ride with it all the time.
I love it!

Quick Reply: For those with a rider backrest.....