Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a Stebel horn b/t the right saddle bag & rear wheel on 09+ tourning frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Mounting a Stebel horn b/t the right saddle bag & rear wheel on 09+ tourning frame?

I am interested in adding a loud air horn to my bike however I'm not interested in the ones that look like trumpets that mount to the stock cowbell location. I'd like to keep the stock cowbell/horn and mount the air horn on the right side between the saddle bag and rear wheel. Kuryakyn makes an electric horn that mounts in this location but it only works up to model year 2008...

I have read good things about the Stebel Nautius horn and I am thinking that it could fit in the space between the wheel and right saddle bag. Has anyone mounted a Stebel in this location and do you have photos? I am thinking that some sort of bracket would need to be fabricated and it could hang from the rearmost saddle bag mount...

I know that the Stebel horns can be separated where the horn goes under the cowbell and the compressor elsewhere but I am not interested in going that route.

THx

Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is a detailed thread on HDF on fitting one behind the bags, but I think that was on a pre-08 bike. I tried to fit one on my Evo, but there wasn't enough room. The stock Stebel looks compact (even called that as I recall), but when in the hand becomes quite bulky! I gave up and bought a mini-beast that fits where the stock horn is, they come in different styles.

I suspect with the wider wheel and rear fender you may find there isn't enough room out of sight. Other HDF members have dismantled the Stebel and fitted the horn behind the cowhorn and the compressor under the saddle, so that is another possibility. Probably worth searching through older posts. It is a regular subject!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

If you do find the space and can mount it there, the horn is now behind YOU, and in your ear shot, so now YOU get to enjoy it when you have to blow it, and those things are LOUD. So I moved mine to the front of the bike, using trumpets, it gave the bike it own unique look, and now those that do pull out in front of me and deserve the wrath of my sound fury, only THEY hear it.

Just my