Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with wheel alignment and fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012 | 12:15 AM
bar_bagger
3rd Gear

I'm having the same left alignment issue with my 05 RK. I ordered a new wheel and tire combo for my bike from Costal Moto. When I put on the new rear wheel, it made left contact with the inner fender bracket connecting the saddle bag supports. I then checked the stock wheel/tire and it was showing contact wear on the left side of the tire. The boys at Costal have been very helpful but this is a problem I'm definitely going to have resolve on my end. Looking forward to everyone's input on this problem.

Old 03-14-2012 | 02:41 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

After talking with Jake at Glide-Pro regarding alignment, he gave me this tip: loosen up the bolts that hold the rear fender (side bolts) and the fender can be pulled to the left a bit. Then tighten everything back up. While it didn't get my tire/fender 100% aligned, it did get it 60-75%.

Old 03-15-2012 | 05:51 AM
young_bear
6th Gear

Yes I've tweaked the fender monting so the fender shouldn't rub, but the pulley is still awfull close to rubing on the swing arm. Probably let it go, as long as nothing shifts it'll be OK.

Old 03-15-2012 | 08:42 AM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

One other option is having the brake caliper milled down a touch and a longer spacer on the left side. That will shift everything to the right. Paul at Native Custom Baggers does this and its not too expensive.

Ride safe.

Old 03-16-2012 | 07:46 PM
young_bear
6th Gear

I may mill down the caliper if things look funky when I get new tires on. Do they just mill the caliper where the axle goes thru, or do they also relieve the area where the caliper hangs on the swin-garm?

Old 03-16-2012 | 08:17 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by young_bear
I may mill down the caliper if things look funky when I get new tires on. Do they just mill the caliper where the axle goes thru, or do they also relieve the area where the caliper hangs on the swin-garm?
I am not 100% certain. I exchanged a few emails with Paul at Native Custom Baggers (about an hour from my house) and he told me that this was a common problem (wheel not centered) and he suggested having the caliper milled down and longer spacer used. I don't think its that expensive, so you may want to give him a call and he can explain the process much better then I can. Paul is a really cool guy, I have met him a few times and been to his shop once.

I was able to get my fender over a bit using the method of loosening up the fender bolts and pulling it over. I may still have the caliper milled down as well as I really want to run a 140mm rear tire but just can't do it without the tire rubbing now. The other problem is that I'd need to run the 04 and later final belt and pulley, and I really don't want to tear apart my inner primary. I am thinking next winter will be my time to tear it all apart.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012 | 06:39 PM
young_bear
6th Gear

well, I mounted the new tires today and got everything back together. I actually ground the left side fender mounts to shift the fender to the left a little more. I'm happy with the fender clearance, now. Looks like the tire might of been out of alignment before I changed the tires. I have better clearance between pulley and swig-arm, and the belt runs in the center of the trans. pulley. I did space the left side shock out with 1 heavy washer to give the shock more clearance from the pulley as well. Still offset, but I'm happy where it's at. Good to have it back on the road. Boy, do new tires make a world of difference!

Old 03-18-2012 | 06:42 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Very cool. Glad it worked out. Got any pics of the new wheels?

Old 03-18-2012 | 08:22 PM
young_bear
6th Gear

Same stock wheels, although front one is polished up a little nicer. Just needed new rubber. When I got it it had Dunlops on it. They were toast after last year. I've always had good luck with Metzlers. Much nicer ride with new tires.