Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with wheel alignment and fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012 | 05:29 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wtkpga
Is your valve stem on the right or left side?
Only one right way on the rear, different bolt thread sizes for rotor and drive pulley.

Old 01-15-2012 | 05:35 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Do you have a spacer b/w the caliper bracket and the right side of the swingarm?

Old 01-15-2012 | 06:16 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Do you have a spacer b/w the caliper bracket and the right side of the swingarm?
No. From left side to right: swingarm, long spacer, belt pulley, wheel, short spacer, brake caliper bracket, swingarm.

Old 01-15-2012 | 07:59 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Where did the wheel you just took off sit in relation to the fender. If it was pushed to the left, but not enough to hit the fender because of the tire size, then I would think it could be a swingarm bearing or alignment problem. If you swingarm bearings are gone then your drive belt is going to pull the swingarm to the left. Maybe your just now noticing because you've added a little tension to the belt.

Old 01-15-2012 | 08:31 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Where did the wheel you just took off sit in relation to the fender. If it was pushed to the left, but not enough to hit the fender because of the tire size, then I would think it could be a swingarm bearing or alignment problem. If you swingarm bearings are gone then your drive belt is going to pull the swingarm to the left. Maybe your just now noticing because you've added a little tension to the belt.
I know that it rode to the left, but I never noticed that it was this much. I have only had the bike for a few months and this is my first tire change, so I may have not noticed how far it was misaligned. I was planning on installing the Glide-Pro system in a few weeks, so I'm going to wait until I get the new parts (including motor mount) and do a complete alignment.

Old 01-15-2012 | 09:22 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I was planning on installing the Glide-Pro system in a few weeks, so I'm going to wait until I get the new parts (including motor mount) and do a complete alignment.
I don't know how many miles this unit has on it, but at ten years old it won't hurt anything to change out all the rubber mounts and definately get the swingarm bearings from Sta-bo or Motorcycle Metal. Alignment is a pain, but take your time and get it right. It's not really exact science so there is some leeway to get your wheel to the center. I can't remember if the 02's have the adjusters welded to the axle and indexed like the late models, but if not that gives you a little more fudge room.

Old 01-16-2012 | 06:38 AM
scootervtx
6th Gear
Default 08 RKC wheel change

gtrplyr, I just finished installing a set of 9-spokes on my 08 RKC and I have the same situation as you do. My rear is off to the left ( not as much as yours ) and everything is installed correctly. My brake rotor does not rub, the stem is on the right side and all spacers and bearings are installed properly. The bike tracks fine and the belt is aligned perfectly. My OEM spoke wheels were a little off but the new one is even more. My local stealer says it's fine as does my own mechanic as long as nothing is rubbing. In your case the rubbing of the fender mount is a problem. Could it be the different spacer you used? I am not sure on your bike as mine has different spacers and the isolated drive system. I do know the 9 spoke wheels on the 08 only have one bearing shim on the inside of the wheel and it goes on opposite sides for the front and rear. Left front and right rear. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2012 | 12:24 PM
eathomps
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
No one has seen a wheel off center like this?!
I have. My '02 Road Glide is the same way. I was thinking of going to a 140 rear tire but concluded I would have the same problem you are. My bike is aligned correctly with new swingarm doughnuts. I think the only way to correct it is to mill the caliper and get a longer left side spacer made to compensate for however much the caliper is cut down. Not worht the hassle or cost in my opinion, so I'm just going to stick with the 130 rear.

Old 01-16-2012 | 01:32 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I don't know how many miles this unit has on it, but at ten years old it won't hurt anything to change out all the rubber mounts and definately get the swingarm bearings from Sta-bo or Motorcycle Metal. Alignment is a pain, but take your time and get it right. It's not really exact science so there is some leeway to get your wheel to the center. I can't remember if the 02's have the adjusters welded to the axle and indexed like the late models, but if not that gives you a little more fudge room.
Good call on the new spherical bearings. Also the HD alignment tool, straight edges, lasers, and the string method won't always get your alignment to track straight, sometimes it takes a few trial and error adjustments and a few shakes of the juju stick to get it to track desireably. Alignment is near impossible on worn out tires, don't waste your time trying it. After all the new stuff and a good alignment you may find that you still are off center, may have to try to tweak the fender and brackets to make it work. Lets hope for the best and just wait to see the results of the new stuff.

Old 03-13-2012 | 11:13 AM
young_bear
6th Gear

My 05 E-Glide rear wheel has always been off center since I 've had it;only 1 year. Changing tires and would like to make it a little better. My concern is I have less than 1/8" clearance between pulley and swing arm. Belt runs on outside of trans. pulley, so it looks like I could space it farther to right,but what about caliper/rotor alingment, they appear to be alligned.

Quick Reply: Help needed with wheel alignment and fitment