Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasma Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Plasma Rods

I got the Plasma Rods from Custom Dynamics and I have a few questions about their mounting.I will be using them as run-brake only,any problem with the BAL tail light that I have on the bike?What are the 4 little gray-red things that came with the rods for?I think they call them posi-taps.I would need a diagram in order to have them connected properly,if possible.I also got the 3/4 round moulding from Lowe's so I should be good to go if I can get an answer to my doubts.Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Fred Garvin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will watch this thread as I have been thinking of adding these to my SG. Keep us updated on the install...thanks. Oh and jealous if you spend a lot of time in Rome...love it there.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

the posi taps are whats used to splice into your factory wiring. i had mine wired at a show so not 100% sure on what to cut/splice. they are bright expecially when pair up with their l.e.d. tail light upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails Plasma Rods-plasmajpeg.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Put them on my '10 RK with the stop, run tailight . Didn't use the taps I used a test light to find out what wires to spice into and did it that way. Pretty simple and a great product. Also , on my set, I had to apply the tape on the opposite side of the rod so the wires came out the top on both of them.Don't know if its been changed now or not as I bought the first sets that they had.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know how it comes out. wanting a set for my glide

Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe I'm stupid,but I cannot figure out where the rods are positioned.I have the saddlebag filler strips on my bike and everything has a curve back there and the rods don't adhere perfectly.I've also bought the 3/4" round molding from Lowes as suggested but now I have 2 problems instead of one-the rods and the moldings-.If any of you guys has a detailed picture or instructions to post it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by luisan; 01-24-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luisan
Maybe I'm stupid,but I cannot figure out where the rods are positioned.I have the saddlebag filler strips on my bike and everything has a curve back there and the rods don't adhere perfectly.I've also bought the 3/4" round molding from Lowes as suggested but now I have 2 problems instead of one-the rods and the moldings-.If any of you guys has a detailed picture or instructions to post it will be greatly appreciated.
One of the Forum member has a thread with pictures and instructions. I used them after seeing it, it all made sense. If you buy some 3M red double sided tape, use this tape to tape the 1/4 round to the inside of the filler panel. The round side of the 1/4 round will fit into the curved part of the filler panel. Then the flat side the 1/4 round is where you attach your Plasma Rods. The posi taps are used to tap into your factory wiring to your brake run or turn signals. There's no need to cut and splice any wires.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

did you need a equalizer in series with the plasma rods once installed ? did it mess up the alarm function or the turn signals ? i want to connect a set when the brakes are applied..

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
did you need a equalizer in series with the plasma rods once installed ? did it mess up the alarm function or the turn signals ? i want to connect a set when the brakes are applied..
I used the Kuryakyn run/turn/brake module with no problems with the alarm functions.

Attached Thumbnails Plasma Rods-cd-lights.jpg  

Last edited by 1sweetglide08; 01-25-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luisan
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...asma-rods.html

Maybe this will help. I posted this a while ago.

Quick Reply: Plasma Rods