Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music to test your Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wonder why some tracks are like that.. I have purchased a number of the remastered CD's from MoFi etc. over the years and I rip those in to lossless format so that I get good quality MP3 that while still compressed isn't as compressed as some of the stuff you get on iTunes.

I wonder how many people don't realize how different various releases of the same tracks can sound.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

I've never found a song on the net that I would consider reference audiophile quality. But then again, vinyl rules over anything digital.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Originally Posted by Michael HD Rider
I've never found a song on the net that I would consider reference audiophile quality. But then again, vinyl rules over anything digital.
Yeah but a tourpak mounted turntable isn't practicle

You can get good remasters of tunes from MoFi (Mobile Fidelity), Digital Compact Classics and Sony SBM. A lot of these go back to original tapes and improve upon the original releases mastering process, admittedly some mores than others..

Check out remastered releases from AC/DC, The Cars, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Boston, Eagles, Rush etc. on these formats and you will have decent source material to rip to MP3 in a lossless format. This is the best you can do in a modern age.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you rip in lossless format ??

Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
How do you rip in lossless format ??
http://mactips.info/2011/01/how-and-...ds-with-itunes

Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sublime_ac

You can get good remasters of tunes from MoFi (Mobile Fidelity), Digital Compact Classics and Sony SBM. A lot of these go back to original tapes and improve upon the original releases mastering process, admittedly some mores than others..

Check out remastered releases from AC/DC, The Cars, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Boston, Eagles, Rush etc. on these formats and you will have decent source material to rip to MP3 in a lossless format. This is the best you can do in a modern age.
Thanks! I will check that out.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glacierpearl,

Anything you download from iTunes is going to be lossy 128kBs audio. It all sucks to varying degrees. FLAC, WAV, or ALAC is the way to go. You won't get any of these from iTunes however.

I have most of my cd collection ripped to a Seagate HD for playback in my high end home rig. But I turn to vinyl when sound quality really matters.

That being said, at 70+ mph on a bike, it is really hard to distinguish between an MP3 and a lossless file. The recording quality itself comes into play more than the quality of the download. On a high rez system, the difference is obvious.

Shakey

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 01-20-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,898 Likes on 19,361 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime_ac

You're right .... A mobil turn table isn't practical ... But ... I had one similar to the one shown in this link in my 1957 Chevy Convertible ... It was mounted under the dash .... I also had a ( are you ready for this ) a Reverb unit hooked up to the system ... ( I was a really cool dude! ) ... It was mounted in the trunk ... It made some really cool sounds when crossing over bumpy railroad tracks ... The record was remarkably stable considering the technology available in 1965 ( that's when I had it ) Isn't it amazing how far we have come with audio technology .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0hRzEihsR4