Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music to test your Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Michael,

Is that your Clearaudio table in the video?

Shakey
No, I wish! I snagged that video off of YouTube.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Twangmaster
Advanced

Deep purple, Lazy. The B3 during the intro will get your attention. Steely Dan-Aja just to make sure it's clean.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Baggs
Thank you for the Holly Cole posting, I loved it. Have you ever heard Melody Gardot? One a my favs.

Baggs
I have now. Thanks for recommending her. I love female jazz groups.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirsch's top 10 favorite songs for evaluating any sound system.

1. "Don’t Know Why" by Norah Jones – Listen for Norah's voice to sound natural and centered in front of you
2. "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez – Listen for the strong vocals and for the instruments to be set across a wide sound stage
3. "No One" by Alicia Keys – Listen for clarity in Alicia’s vocals and spacious background sound
4. "Hotel California" by the Eagles – Listen for the clarity and dynamic range during the opening guitar solo and the powerful drum beat
5. "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas – Listen for powerful, accurate bass beats, even at full volume
6. "Rock that Body" by the Black Eyed Peas – Listen for the clear, intelligible lyrics over the powerful, persistent bass beat
7. "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap – Listen for the enveloping ambience of the song, building on the openness and dynamic vocals
8. "He Mele No Lilo" by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu from "Lilo and Stitch" – Listen for the ambience and staging as the children's chorus is offset by the powerful bass
9. "Bird on a Wire" by Johnny Cash – Listen for the clarity in Johnny's distinctive voice, and his guitar to sound natural and free of any coloration
10. "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" by Radiohead – Listen for the punch from the percussive bass and the ring of the steel drums

I'd like to add the beginning of "Money" by Pink Floyd. You can really test just how well your speaker placement is by how far the sound come from...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

I really like Alicia Keys and thought her first cd was a great recording, that is until I heard it on a very relieving system. Very muddy over processed bass, and you could tell the overall recording was compressed. But that's mainstream recordings for you.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn love that song by Holly Cole. Just finished downloading it from itunes. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Michael,

I have that Holly Cole on vinyl, and "Temptation" on vinyl too. Great recordings. I have a Nottingham table and Benz L2 wood body cartridge.

Vinyl Rules!

Shakey

Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

And to ad to what has been said. A lot of great recordings have been mentioned. But most of them will be lost when played on even the best motorcycle audio systems. Just not the right venue for showcasing high quality recordings with low level details and ambient information.

Shakey

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 01-08-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Michael,

I have that Holly Cole on vinyl, and "Temptation" on vinyl too. Great recordings. I have a Nottingham table and Benz L2 wood body cartridge.

Vinyl Rules!

Shakey
Nice system! I agree, once you hear vinyl on a good system, CDs sound like crap. I have to add, I love tubes with horn speakers. It sounds so open.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,670 Posts

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. KILLER album, very sonically rich, will provide a great test of your stereo.

Quick Reply: Music to test your Stereo