Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing help please. 07 FLTR handlebar swap troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012 | 11:06 PM
Brandon.Orange
|
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Needing help please. 07 FLTR handlebar swap troubles

After researching for months what I wanted to do, I kept coming back to the Heritage hb 56623-99 in place of my stock FLTR hb. 15,000 miles has been long enough with those.

I've read EVERYWHERE that this is an easy swap requiring NO cable changes.
HD stealer confirmed.

Brought them home, broke it all down, all straightforward and easy.

Left side complete with new grips too.

Right side throttle back on, new grip, THEN my brake cable is TOO SHORT.

I've straightened it out and it's still too short.

What have I missed? Please help. I've searched these boards and threads all night and can't find another with the same scenario. Everyone else says they work without cable change.

Thx.

Brandon

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:28 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a cable or a hydraulic line? did you re route it so it would reach?
Is the cable or brake line stock or did someone else swap it out for a different one before you owned the bike?
Can you post a pic??
Hatch.

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:47 PM
Brandon.Orange
|
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, brake line is a metal line, not a cable. Mistake by me.
It is stock. I've owned my RG since new.

The type the was "formed"to wrap tight to the stock handlebars.

I straightened it out and it is still short. I don't see where there is any room to re-route this brake line. I have to have missed something.

EVERYONE else posting on these RG stock hb swap to the heritage bar claims the stock cables work.

Old 01-08-2012 | 05:55 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a handle bar swap for a buddy last winter put 12in mini apes on a 07 UC everthing we bought from dealer theres a problem with brake cable to long clutch cable to short measure your cable add inchs you need to make it work and change it out very easy to do...

Old 01-08-2012 | 08:01 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you straightened and re-routed from deep inside the nacelle?

Old 01-08-2012 | 08:30 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done that change on both my '07 FLTR, & a friends '08 FLTR without changing the brake line. It gets tight, but since it doesn't have to move it's not a problem. You may have to drop it a little behind the bars & not follow the bar as closely as it did with the stock bars. A picture of your problem might help.

Old 01-08-2012 | 08:39 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i ran off the road on my 10 RGC and bent the stock bars. When the dealer went to fix, i asked for Heritage bars. They went on with no problems after we did some work on the brake line. Basically, you have to trace the line from the front bottom tree up to the handle bars and free up any kinks or bends. Once you do that it will bolt up no problem. It appears there is some excess in the line.

Old 01-09-2012 | 05:54 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the problem is just getting the lever and throttle over the end of the bar with the bar already in place and the hold clamps tightened then loosen the clamps and slide the bar to the left then ease the lever and throttle over the end. Make sure you have the piece of cardboard between the lever and throttle body as stated in the manual several times. Mine was too short to fit all the way over the end of the bar with the bar clamped in place. Once the bar is slid left there is plenty of slack in the right side. You can even remove the right clamp if you need another inch or so. Be careful not to pinch wires when tightening everything back up.

I posted previously about just loosening the clamps and not completely disassembling the levers and signal casings. Leave the clamps loose and move the bar to the right to get the left on and then to the left to get the left on. Only loosen levers and signal cases enough to slide off. Don't forget the card board on the brake lever. Once everything is in place raise the bar to where you want it and tighten. I laid my lever and cases on some shop stools while I switch the two bars.

Last edited by who?me?; 01-09-2012 at 07:41 AM.