Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a 2008-09 issue only?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like theres more issues than just an oil leak....just sayin!!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not have to remove the inner primary. The stator has to come out before the inner can be pulled.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

How many ya done there big Dave?

Lot's of great info on these threads, just gotta weed through the miss information that most of these well meaning feller spew... CUZ THEY'VE NEVER DONE IT!

I'm sure ya mean well bro, but ya still don't have to pull the inner primary to replace the stator. (Tho you may have to grind a little on the inside of the inner primary... just in case you were wondering) I've got the manual, and can read and comprehend quite nicely... thank you.

You one of those dudes that can't learn anything new?

Hope ya have a great day!

Beav

Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM
redlohsom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it! I think I may have the same problem. noticed yesterday a small amount of oil on the floor after parking the 09 ultra classic. A quick look I thought it was the primary leaking so bought a gasket(s) and was planning to just change that (planned to change all fluids to synthetic anyway-Just picked up this bike used w/ 20k miles). Now It looks like it may be something more?? I'm standing by now for further advice/input

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Talking

No magic to it guys...
Notice the inner primary had been "relieved" sometime prior...some require it, some don't

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice shiny new stator installed...
[IMG][/IMG]
Once again..... YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE INNER PRIMARY TO REPLACE A STATOR!

Anybody learn anything?

Just tryin' to help. Yep...been there, done that. Didn't get a t-shirt, but I've got the pics.

Beav

Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, you are showing pictures that are not an 09' (as the OP)and the inner primary is different. Even the grommet is different on an 09'. Second, I am not one to recommend anyone deviate from the service manual. When you do, and make claims to do short cuts, people here can put themselves in trouble. And if you want pictures(03' RK) here you go, because apparently that's all you can understand.

Bottom line, if you apply the same procedures to every bike you work on regardless of year, you will eventually screw something up. Most backyard mechanics that can't follow a procedure will never teach me anything.

Lastly, you are not my bro and never will be.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak ?-primary-003r1.jpg   Oil leak ?-primary-019r1.jpg   Oil leak ?-primary-002r1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 09 and just put in a SE comp. i did not pull the inner. Ground a little of the lip to get rotor out. could have got the stator if needed.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiesport
didnt know where to put this !!
does anyone else have problems with oil leaking out of the crank case where the stator wires come thru ? have an 09 ultra that has always weept very slightly here, but of late it starting to leave a few drops or two on the floor of the garage ! is there an easy fix or do you have to put a new gromet/wiring/stator and wiring etc ???? oh and yes it gets ridin almost everyday .
I just noticed the same problem with my 2011 Limited at slightly over 20,000 miles. I did the silicone fix... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-oil-leak.html

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by wolfman 66
I have a 09 and just put in a SE comp. i did not pull the inner. Ground a little of the lip to get rotor out. could have got the stator if needed.

Guess me, and my no-bro smokindave will have to agree that we dissagree... Still hope he has a nice day!

Beav

Quick Reply: Oil leak ?