Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to do brake flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,335 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982

I've found that Speed Bleeders work the best for me. These are replacement bleeder valves that include a one-way valve. That means you remove the factory bleeder valves and install the Speed Bleeders. You will lose a few drops of brake fluid doing this, depending on how quickly you can make the switch.

Once installed, you attach a hose to the Speed Bleeders and put the other end of the hose in to a collection bottle or can. Open the Speed Bleeders about a quarter turn and just pump the brakes as many times as you want until clean fresh fluid comes out and you do not see any air bubbles. While doing this, you want to ensure the master cylinder reservoir stays full so you do not introduce any air into the system. Once you feel the system has been throughly flushed, just ensure the reservoir levels are correct, put the caps back on, and retighten the Speed Bleeders.

You can leave the Speed Bleeders on the bike so they will be there for the next use. You do not have to take them off and on each time.

Speed Bleeders also sells a very nice collection bag that can be used to collect the brake fluid while flushing. It can be emptied and reused also.

Hope this helps.
i've wanted to replace the standard bleeders with speedbleeders, but my big worry is the abs brakes. no, not whether or not they are compatible, but whether or not i would have to have the dealer use the digital technician to bleed the brakes after i pulled the old bleeders out, thus exposing the system to outside air.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i've wanted to replace the standard bleeders with speedbleeders, but my big worry is the abs brakes. no, not whether or not they are compatible, but whether or not i would have to have the dealer use the digital technician to bleed the brakes after i pulled the old bleeders out, thus exposing the system to outside air.
I did this on my bike with no problems.

As long as you do not allow air to get into the ABS module then you should have no worries. Just replacing the factory bleeder valves with Speed Bleeders should not allow any air into the system unless you let all the fluid drain.

Have the Speed Bleeders close at hand ready to install when you remove the factory bleed valves. Remove the factory valve and put the Speed Bleeder in as quickly as you can to minimize fluid loss.

After that, just flush the brakes as I described, not allowing the reservoir to get too low which might introduce air into the system.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

so, quick question, what speed bleeders would we need? i remember they come in several different sizes.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain

so, quick question, what speed bleeders would we need? i remember they come in several different sizes.
The Speed Bleeder web site has an application chart that shows part numbers for various bikes. Hopefully yours is listed.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcyc...zes.htm#Harley Davidson

Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Morris9982
The Speed Bleeder web site has an application chart that shows part numbers for various bikes. Hopefully yours is listed.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/Motorcyc...zes.htm#Harley Davidson
takes a little interpolation, but they have road kings to 2010, electra glide ultras, 08 and up, and road glides to 08-09 listed. since the touring bikes are all basically the same, you can figure that the application for ultra 08 and up would work for all touring, SB8125L. which is incidentally the same one they list for all the above touring classes.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

takes a little interpolation, but they have road kings to 2010, electra glide ultras, 08 and up, and road glides to 08-09 listed. since the touring bikes are all basically the same, you can figure that the application for ultra 08 and up would work for all touring, SB8125L. which is incidentally the same one they list for all the above touring classes.
That sounds correct. I purchased the 8125L-SS stainless steel version for my bike.