Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low with monotubes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How low with monotubes?

I think you can adjust ride height with the progressive monotone set up but how much can you get out of the standard height ones? Would it be enough to satisfy a 21" front?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Emonster6x
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2"

I got 2" out of it. HTH

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Stonehedge
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by HighLiner
I think you can adjust ride height with the progressive monotone set up but how much can you get out of the standard height ones? Would it be enough to satisfy a 21" front?
I have my monotubes at -2" for the 21" Wheel on my 2012 SG

Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So, you guys with the progressive monotubes installed can you let us know how you like them. Can you really tell that much difference? If so, what is it exactly. I here better handling but what does that mean? I'm looking at getting some and would like to know. Are they any stiffer riding? Thanks for your input.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Emonster6x
I got 2" out of it. HTH
You got 2" out of the standard kit?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HighLiner
You got 2" out of the standard kit?
No, the "lowered" kit will get you -2"

Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
So, you guys with the progressive monotubes installed can you let us know how you like them. Can you really tell that much difference? If so, what is it exactly. I here better handling but what does that mean? I'm looking at getting some and would like to know. Are they any stiffer riding? Thanks for your input.
I noticed a slight difference over the stock suspension, no brake dive. I installed it mainly because I wanted to lower the front when I installed my 21" wheel.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
I am running the stock height monos on the front and ohlins #6 (the best) on the back and I am very happy. The monos are sensational considering they were 1/5 the price of the ohlins.

The handling is improved in a number of ways. The front end feels firmer without being stiff. It doesn't float like the stock, it follows the road and soaks up rough ripples. I can feel more friction than the stock, it transmits more vibes to the bars than stock. The brake dive is radically reduced, braking hard from 130 the front stays straight and doesnt bottom out.

I think there are better front ends out there than monos but they are triple the price.

Lowered bikes make no sense to me, ground clearance is everything, so I can't comment on if these comments are the same for the lowered kits. Taking inches out of the suspension travel will always cost you in terms of ride and cornering.

Last edited by kingkingking; 01-06-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Lowering the front 1" with a 21" wheel brings you back to stock height on the front. You loose 1" of travel though. The rear of the SG is already dropped 1" stock so if you go 2" you will be actually lowering the front 1" from stock. I dropped mine with progressive springs and added ricor intiminators. No issues with bottoming and ride is good.

Quick Reply: How low with monotubes?