Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery of The Future?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
After looking back at post #12 I think the no tender needed is talking about the lithium battery and not refering to the LA. That makes more sense because lithiums won't sulfate. When I first read it I thought they were talking about tenders in general. I sure would like to get more than 3 years out of the HD battery. I used Jet Ski LA batteries in my shovel and they held up good. Not sure how much different the new HD AGM is than the Shovel head but when the time comes I will look into it. Probably won't get a battery from the dealer.
Got 6 years and 25k miles on my original battery, never once on a tender and it went completely dead 2 different winters in the garage. If your charging system is healthy, and it doesn't sit for mode than a month without starting you should be just fine without a tender.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Dewky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cordless power tools all use Lion now, quick to charge and supposed to be good for 10,000 recharges.They dont seem to lose power when just sitting.

dewky

Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
cp1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked on those about a year ago and couldn't find one with enough cranking amps.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Got 6 years and 25k miles on my original battery, never once on a tender and it went completely dead 2 different winters in the garage. If your charging system is healthy, and it doesn't sit for mode than a month without starting you should be just fine without a tender.
That is respectable life and I am looking forward to/expecting that minimum. But if you use a tender do you get 10 years. If you go here http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.php#anchory they have some good info on batteries and they don't recomend a tender if you follow their maintenance schedule. I had read this before about the construction of AGM batteries and they still have acid in them and lead plates. My thoughts are if you keep a 13.8 v charge on the battery the acid solution is not as strong that should lead to less dissentagration of the lead and that should give longer life. I have my tender on a retractor in the middle of the garage so plugging in is not a problem. Remembering to get the pigtail off of the pipes when I leave has chalenged me a few times.