Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR 300x2 Amp Install Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
phnxrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBR 300x2 Amp Install Problem?

I just installed the RF amp in my SG. It's not very loud, something has to be wrong. I used 10 GA power wire and ground, 30 amp inline fuse. RF 1s692 speakers. RCA inputs from HK deck. My front speakers are connected to Right Front and Right Rear (otherwise I only got one speaker playing when wired to Right and Left Front. Please help?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phnxrider
I just installed the RF amp in my SG. It's not very loud, something has to be wrong. I used 10 GA power wire and ground, 30 amp inline fuse. RF 1s692 speakers. RCA inputs from HK deck. My front speakers are connected to Right Front and Right Rear (otherwise I only got one speaker playing when wired to Right and Left Front. Please help?
RF doesn't make a 300x2. What is the exact model that you purchased?

How did you hook up your input wires? Can you attach a picture?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
toby34
Tourer

First if your radio out puts are not good that is a first thing to look at. Your front speakers should wrk left and right front. Get that fixed and you should be good make sure you check the balance on the radio and the fader too

Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you have RCA's for the HK outputs? If so, you'll need to run a remote wire to turn on the amp; the amp's remote turn on function (i.e. no remote wire needed) only works with the speaker level input to the front left.

Carl

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

These are the two Rockford Fosgate amps that they sell PBR300X1 - 300 Watt BRT Full-Range Mono Amplifier, PBR300X4 - 300 Watt BRT Full-Range 4-Channel Amplifier. There is not a two channel amp. As previously stated your two front speakers should be connected only to the front inputs and outputs or you will not get the sound out of the amp. I will share what happend to me on my 4 channel install. Make sure you connect your inputs to the front as well as your outputs to the front channels. Really look at the amp connections, I connected my inputs to the correct spot but I thought it went straight accross the amp but actually it was crossed on the output side of the amp. Meaning the amp is installed on top of the radio the outputs are on the bikes left the front speaker connector outputs are on the forward side of the bike but the input connection for the fronts is towards the rear side of the bike. I had installed mine crossed and I had sound but I could barely hear it and thankfully I did not screw the amp up. Just double check your connections. As soon as I actually connected it right it worked great. Just confirm with the picture in the manual.
Here is the link to the manual if needed.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...BRT4ch-MAN.pdf

Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by pauly3
RF doesn't make a 300x2.
This is not totally true, RF does make a PBR300x2 amp, although I didn't know it was being sold yet. I do know it was scheduled months ago to start selling in the first quarter of this year. It is or will be stable to 2ohm, and specs around 2@100w 4 ohm, 2@150w 2 ohm, 1@300 4 ohm.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by Copyless
This is not totally true, RF does make a PBR300x2 amp, although I didn't know it was being sold yet. I do know it was scheduled months ago to start selling in the first quarter of this year. It is or will be stable to 2ohm, and specs around 2@100w 4 ohm, 2@150w 2 ohm, 1@300 4 ohm.
I stand-corrected although I really doubt that's what he is using because he mentions a "rear" channel.

Hopefully he replies so we can give him some guidance I guarantee his input leads are connected incorrectly.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 367 Posts

The J&M site shows a nice diagram on how to wire your system up. If you are confident that you wired them correctly then you should check the settings on your amp. Since the RF amp doesnt have RCAs you should wire them directly to the speaker outputs.

Toby34 is correct. Check you speaker output wires.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 AM
phnxrider
Advanced

My mistake, 300X4. I am using RCA inputs and spliced in the remote power to the headlight. I will quadruple check the speaker wiring. If memory serves I have R front + to solid grey, and L front + to solid white. (Of course - are connected to striped wires). When I had both speaker inputs connected to the front, I only had music from the right speaker. Switched right input to Left and only had music from Left. I will try and post a pic Saturday as I'm working for two days. Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
phnxrider
Advanced

Originally Posted by toby34
First if your radio out puts are not good that is a first thing to look at. Your front speakers should wrk left and right front. Get that fixed and you should be good make sure you check the balance on the radio and the fader too
My stereo guy said I have it hooked up correctley. I'm going to send the HU back in to have one of the RCA's checked. He said my amp is bad too. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by phnxrider; 01-05-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: PBR 300x2 Amp Install Problem?