Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Tour Pak lighting question . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Really not trying to get in to a pi**ing match with anyone, but brightness is not everything. At night... maybe that is the over riding factor. But during the day the tour pak light strip is at eye level with cagers. There is a reason that the government requires new vehicles to have brake lights on the trunk or rear windshield of every new vehicle. The light strip also incorporates the turn signals at eye level. It's your money and your decision. At $100 and a couple of beers, it was a no brainer to me. By the way, that strip is by no means "low lumens". Look at the specs on their web site. http://www.radiantz.com/

Last edited by etstrine; 01-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

etstrine, I tried the link you provided, but didn't see any specs on the LED's, and I did look around a bit, though not exhaustively. If you can provide a link to the spec page that'd be appreciated.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with your point that having a high mounted light is a good idea. But the OP, and me for that matter, have TP's on detachable racks and, in my case, the TP is not on the bike all that much. If you care to provide a $$$ figure on the rear lighting you've added, it'd be an interesting total.

The point in my post was simply that I spent a lot of $$$ on rear lighting that doesn't compare to the effectiveness of the BAL-1--for daytime or night riding--which is, admittedly, an expensive option at ~$199 list price.

Carl

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
etstrine, I tried the link you provided, but didn't see any specs on the LED's, and I did look around a bit, though not exhaustively. If you can provide a link to the spec page that'd be appreciated.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with your point that having a high mounted light is a good idea. But the OP, and me for that matter, have TP's on detachable racks and, in my case, the TP is not on the bike all that much. If you care to provide a $$$ figure on the rear lighting you've added, it'd be an interesting total.

The point in my post was simply that I spent a lot of $$$ on rear lighting that doesn't compare to the effectiveness of the BAL-1--for daytime or night riding--which is, admittedly, an expensive option at ~$199 list price.

Carl
Carl,

I too have a removable tour pak. The OP asked, "Has anybody put non-HD (run/brake) taillights on their Tour Pak, kinda like the little inexpensive surface-mount ones from the auto parts stores?" I answered the question. Be that as it may, I give up. Yours are bigger and they hang lower than mine

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a Bal-1 and yes it's bright. But Harley's tour-pak side marker kit holds its own. It's also very bright.