Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Cover Gasket Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,677 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I am having a similar weird issue. There is always a thin film of dirty oil on the clutch cable fabric where it passes under the cam cover. Not enough to even make a drop, but just enough to make me wonder. Seems I read something somewhere about a clutch cable leak--the fabric is worn through to the cable in the area in question, so maybe the cable sheilding is worn & I'm getting cable lube leaking. I know it's a long shot, but it's more of a mystery than a nuisance. everything else in the area is dry.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I've had time to think about it, the same thing happened to me and it all traced back to the oil filter assembly that is part of the oil cooler installation.

Your oil filter might be sitting on an adapter assembly. See figure two in the link below. The gasket behind this adapter is prone to leakage. Ask me how I know. Get some Permatex Ultra Black Silicone sealant and dab sparingly on both gasket surfaces. The black version is very oil resistant. That will create a seal that will solve the leakage. Torque the fittings to specs and let the sealant dry overnight.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04739.pdf

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally took the adapter off and added the sealant around the gasket as suggested. At first, I thought that solved the problem, but after a couple of rides, the oil started to appear again. Turns out it was the two hex plugs in the outer edge of the oil cooler adapter. Somehow, they were never totally tightened, or worked themselves out. In any event, I tightened them down as much as I dared, and it seems to have cured the leak. Thanks for all your help...these forums are great!!!