Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of the brake dust... ceramic pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by PerformanceFrictionBrakes
I can recommend Performance Friction Brake Pads which are the longest lasting on the market. No wonder we are the prime choice for top leading fleet vehicle brands and Race Teams. Good Initial and Modulation. No Dust. No Noise. Used on Police Bikes.

www.performancefriction.com
704-402-4991
any HDForums discount? if so... I'm buying !

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My cure? Got rid of the whitewalls

Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
PerformanceFrictionBrakes
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD Forum discount is $140 for the complete bike set that is 3 cards
I am in the office all day today 803-222-2141 ext 8153

Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by cromagnon
My cure? Got rid of the whitewalls
no way... not on a FLHR Classic

Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
found them ... still sure they don't put out as much dust as the stock pads?
It's hard to measure the quantity of dust, of course, but I see little dust accumulating on wheels between washings. In the past I would most-often wash the bike based on the wheel dust, as that was usually the first thing to get dirty, but I must do it less-often now compared to the stock and EBC organic pads I was using. Since they're metalic-ceramic I was expecting more noise with these, but I hear nothing. So far I have no vices to report, and the fronts have been installed for a year now.

I bought the complete set (three calipers) for $45, which is a very good deal IMO considering the results I'm getting. Several others have used these locally and they have no complaints either. I just checked my database and the cards were marked "NGBBP" and the company has an ISO 9001 rating. A Google search today still revealed no negatives that I could find, and the Ebay seller has excellent feedback. Based on this experience I would recommend these pads, especially considering the low price.

BTW, the tech who gave me the tip said these looked like current HD pads, so HD may have moved to sintered-metalic/ceramic for their product line, which are copper-colored--at least for the older TC bikes ('00-'07). The original pads I had on my '07 as well as the EBC's I bought later were dark gray, and their lifespan and dust production left me underwhelmed. If your last set of pads were copper-colored you may have a similar compound and the performance may not change.

If you buy these, please report back with your feedback on dust output and any other points you can share.

Last edited by iclick; 01-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PerformanceFrictionBrakes
I can recommend Performance Friction Brake Pads which are the longest lasting on the market. No wonder we are the prime choice for top leading fleet vehicle brands and Race Teams. Good Initial and Modulation. No Dust. No Noise. Used on Police Bikes.

www.performancefriction.com
704-402-4991
I read the information on the website a couple of times. Didn't see anywhere touting "no dust." Dunno maybe I missed it.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by drewski1325
I read the information on the website a couple of times. Didn't see anywhere touting "no dust." Dunno maybe I missed it.
I seen that.. err actually I did not either, I know you get what you pay for (in most cases) but $45 vs. $140 ???

Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question concerning the sintered-metalic/ceramic pads. I pulled up a set on Dennis Kirk. The set was made by Drag Specialties and there was a note on the item. The note said that these pads should not be used in calipers that were not OEM equipped with sintered-metalic/ceramic pads. So should these be used in a 2006 SG? Pretty sure it did not come equipped with them.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Subscribed

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Takedown
I have a question concerning the sintered-metalic/ceramic pads. I pulled up a set on Dennis Kirk. The set was made by Drag Specialties and there was a note on the item. The note said that these pads should not be used in calipers that were not OEM equipped with sintered-metalic/ceramic pads. So should these be used in a 2006 SG? Pretty sure it did not come equipped with them.
if I remember right, the reason for this is because when pads are mated to a rotor, the pad material burnishes on to the rotor so there is brake material on both the pad and rotor surface so the brakes work well when hot. They dont want you mixing materials because you will get poor braking performance.

Quick Reply: Tired of the brake dust... ceramic pad suggestions