Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Ganno57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backrest

Anyone using a non Harley backrest on a stock seat? I purchased the Harley one and it pushes me up too straight. I have the mount as far back as it will go and I'm still too straight and my arms are too bent. I am much more comfortable without it. Any suggestions on another brand?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 AM
HDD
Club Member

I am 6' 250lb. Found the stock seat pushed me up too far on the tank. Had adjustable backrest but still too cramped. Switched to Mustang wide solo w rider back rest and passenger pad. Works well and comfortable. But...I am considering pull back handlebars because the Mustang sits back further than stock and I like having my arms bent a little. I just felt like the stock seat was too far forward.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganno57
Anyone using a non Harley backrest on a stock seat? I purchased the Harley one and it pushes me up too straight. I have the mount as far back as it will go and I'm still too straight and my arms are too bent. I am much more comfortable without it. Any suggestions on another brand?
i had the h/d backrest with stock seat and had the same problem, i went with the mustang backrest, it's not as thick as the h/d and seems to me to have more adj. but it worked out fine for me. if you have a friend that has the mustang you might want to try it out.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem. Fixed it by putting the bars into a bench vice, heated them up with a propane torch (just a little - not red-hot) and hammered them down (+/- 1/2"). much better now.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had great success with Corbin, and it's detachable backrest.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

It needs to break in to your backside, but the backrest fits right on the sweet spot that is my jacked up disk in my L4-5:

Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Utopia Drivers backrest with the 1/2" push it back option they offer (on my stock seat) ... the HD drivers back rest mounts way too tall for my stock seat. the Utopia is a lower mount (or taller if you like) and with the 1/2" back option it made all the difference for me. The under seat mount is nearly the same as the HD one but they are not interchangeable ... the adjustment is a screw on the back side that can be turned while driving though it doesn't usually need much adjusting, I also have the quick detach option

http://utpr.com/harleylinks.html

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUCCI
It needs to break in to your backside, but the backrest fits right on the sweet spot that is my jacked up disk in my L4-5
I generally do not put my butt on the backrest. Like you I have a disk problem L5-S1. Judging from the pics, for me yours would be too far forward also. I want something that will be very slightly behind or even with the back support of the seat. I do not sit straight up in the seat, I lean back a little due to my height and the length of my arms. I find the stock seat and riding position comfortable but I want to add some back support for the longer rides.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

Originally Posted by mllgator
Had the same problem. Fixed it by putting the bars into a bench vice, heated them up with a propane torch (just a little - not red-hot) and hammered them down (+/- 1/2"). much better now.
I thought about doing that exact thing. Maybe put a 20 deg bend backwards and then bend it back straight again. My fear is that it will temper the metal and it will bend from the weight of me pushing against it.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Biker's Friend
Former Sponsor

The Biker's Friend Motorcycle Backrest is very adjustable and able to offer back support as well as storage. Five sizes offered.

Quick Reply: Backrest