Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Start Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about cams and I am not trying to take anything away from him, but, his ramps are pretty dang aggressive. That may be part of the issue but I'm not convinced that it is all of it because lots of guys run his stuff on this forum and this is not something you read about a lot here. Those steep ramps throw those valves open and slam them shut which is probably in part why they build good numbers but for a street bike, I personally don't see a need to beat the valve train like that on a street bike. Obviously racing is another story. Please let me know how this turns out. On the measuring part, that's how I would measure it and three full turns on the tapered pushrods should be plenty deep enough. I almost always set them at 2-1/2. I have not used any of the Wood directional lifters, what is different about them? What kind of check valve do they have? Why do they bleed down slower?

Last edited by 1931jamesw; 01-03-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just completed a FM 107 build on my 08 RoadGlide, have about 700 miles in it so far. I am running the TW777s along with the Wood lifters adjusted for 2 flats past 4 full turns. I have no more noise than stock, so I don't think its the agressive ramps of the cams.

I am not familiar with your lifters, I would contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest. Every manufacturer seems to have a different "sweet spot" for where they want the preload to be..

Good luck, I hate top end noise,
Doug

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
1Felix1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just over hundred miles on the same FM 107 build. I am using 20/50 Dino oil. I have noticed the same sounds coming from the valve train. But it's mid to upper thirties here In Idaho. The noise goes away as the oil heats up. Cold temps make for thick oil......

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long does your's take to quiet down in the 30s?
And who's lifters are you running?

It may be cold temps, thick oil and slow pump up rate on the lifters. I do know my Harley B lifters never made this much noise starting up on even colder days. After some testing and measuring this week I should know. I've heard from both sides of woods cams, I'm not here to put down anyone's products, just trying to give what information I have and trying find a solution to my issue.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 01-03-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
1Felix1
Advanced

They quiet down after a few minutes. I let the bike warm up before I take off. Especially at these lower temps. I have woods directional lifters. I'm not sure of the model number. It might be better if I went with 10/40 oil.....

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1Felix1
They quiet down after a few minutes. I let the bike warm up before I take off. Especially at these lower temps. I have woods directional lifters. I'm not sure of the model number. It might be better if I went with 10/40 oil.....
I started with 10/40 and put my first 100 on that oil, switched to 20/50 at the advice of the local Indy. I haven't heard much difference with either oil. If the time was any shorter, I didn't notice it. I'm around 2 minutes till noise subsides in the 40s. I think I will try one more pushrod adjust to 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 turns (at 2-1/2, 24tpi now) and run itfor a few cold starts to see if I get better results.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
1Felix1
Advanced

We r having really dry weather here in the northwest. Usually this time of year the scoots are on the battery tenders. But with my new build I just can't put the bike away. Lol. Good luck with your testing.

Felix

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope there is not a problem with those lifters. They are the same ones I will be using when I do my cam swap. My indy recommended them and said he has always had good results with them. He assured me they would serve me well for my purposes and the price can't be beat. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
djack
Road Master

I don`t know everything and maybe not anything but i have trouble believing that it takes a couple of minutes for lifter to quiet down,i`ll be watching this thread.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

I got nothing to prove and I ain't stressing my bike any more then it already has been to make a video of it. I'll be measuring lifters tonight.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Lifter Noise