Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Boom Audio??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Gregjc68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Boom Audio??????

I have a 2006 Ultra Classic with the stock 80 watt system with original speakers, I am looking to upgrade to the Harley Boom speakers also adding the base tour pack ports for the rear speakers. My questions are for those who have this upgrade, first is there a noticiable difference from stock to the new speakers, second do the bass ports make a difference I am not looking for ground shaking bass just a little more than already exists.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

i heard good things about your idea and have ordered 4 speakers wont know what they sound like on the road till spring i will interested how that bass port turns out

Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
blarson72
6th Gear

Upgraded speakers on my Limited and my wife's Street Glide to the Boom Audio speakers and we're both very satisfied with the increase in quality and volume. We did just the speakers at this point, no amp.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to save some cash to spend on other goodies get the hog tunes amp and speakers and get bass ports from HD. Shop around for the amp and speakers and try to get the seller to tell you if the LED power light on the amp is green or red. The green LED is their latest design and works better on HD's than the red LED version. The red LEDs design had a higher start up voltage requirement and the drop seen with Fi HDs would make them not come on every time or drop front or rear at start up. It is a pretty easy plug and play install to do yourself in a few hours and sounds great. The bass ports sound best when going under 35 and when stopped but so does the whole outdoor sound system setup. Be carefull drilling the 2" bass port holes through the tourpack and do it before you remove the rear pods so you can drill through the pod at the same time. I wire tied the wires in the pod out of the way to keep from damaging them when the hole saw comes through. You still have to remove the pod to put the supplied gasket in between the pod and the tour pack. Use a good hole saw and de burr the ABS plastic on both sides of all four holes before re assenbling the pods and installing the ports and lock rings.
I did speakers first and they made a huge difference but the amp really wakes them up. The instructions for the bass ports tell you to get a radio flash from the dealer after installing them. Not sure how much difference this makes but it is another $40 they don't tell you about untill you read the instruction. If you don't have a good drill and hole saw you can buy them with the money you would pay the dealer and still own them when you are done.

BTW if you have a tour pack organizer the corner pockets will cover the bass ports.

Good Luck and as always ride safe.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're going through the time and expense of upgrading, why not go after market. The Harley stuff will cost you double. You can get high end marine grade speakers, an amp that fits in the fairing all plug and play. It will sound better when you're done and the cost will be about the same, since you're not going with an amp.

Hawg tunes, hog wired, J&M, cycle sounds just to name a few.

In a few weeks I'll have my system installed. Some parts are here, still waiting for others. I plan on making a photo journal and posting a writeup when done. But loads of people on this site have done them.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any pics of speaker ports ? (install ??)

Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
ssfirefighter
Tourer

Looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by zeus33
If you're going through the time and expense of upgrading, why not go after market. The Harley stuff will cost you double. You can get high end marine grade speakers, an amp that fits in the fairing all plug and play. It will sound better when you're done and the cost will be about the same, since you're not going with an amp.

Hawg tunes, hog wired, J&M, cycle sounds just to name a few.

In a few weeks I'll have my system installed. Some parts are here, still waiting for others. I plan on making a photo journal and posting a writeup when done. But loads of people on this site have done them.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HD's installation instructions for the Bass Port Kit are in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05154.pdf

I'm in the middle of an audio project and have drilled the tour pak and pods for the bass ports. The instructions say to remove the pods before drilling the 2" bass port holes in the TP and pods--pilot holes for the 2" hole saw's arbor are drilled with the pods attached.

I don't see any advantage in drilling the 2" holes while the pods are on the bike; the instructions say to drill the pilot hole for the hole saw arbor, then remove the pods to drill the tour pak and pods separately, particularly since the pods must be removed to install gaskets between the pods and TP; and, if you have a TP liner (as I do since it's an Ultra TP), you'll need to reinstall the liner to mark and cut out the 2" holes--I used an Exacto knife.

Haven't hooked up the speakers and amps. But you can install 6.5" speakers in lieu of using 5.25" speakers that HD uses.

Carl

Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For bass port, it's just only holes with nice rings. Here's a link : http://www.passion-harley.net/t32547...adio-classique
But like you i'm curious if it change bass... maybe i'll do it this winter to know

Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Harley Boom

I went the Boom speaker and AMP route. Very satisfied. Easy instructions for DIY. Did not need flash from HD.

Quick Reply: Harley Boom Audio??????