Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Boom Audio??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsj55@yahoo.com
Anyone have pictures of bass ports installed ?
Not much to see but here they are.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LowRider
I'll just throw my in on this. I've had the hogtunes amp/speakers and the hawg wired amp/speakers on my 08. The hogtunes was a noticeable step up from stock, but still not impressive to me. The hawg wired ( 150 watt upgradeable to 300 watt 4 channel ) and their top speakers really improved the sound in both volume and quality. Lastly, I changed out the speakers for a different brand. I can't remember the model. Just that they were Sony brand and not at all expensive. They blew the hawg wired speakers away! Now I have a CVO with the Boom speakers front and rear along with the HK amp and it sounds nearly identical to what I last had on the 08. Bass is as good as it gets for a 5.5" speaker imo. Seriously thinking about finding a 7.5" speaker for the fairing and 6.5" for the tourpack along with the bass ports. I figure the bass port thing is fundamentally sound because I remember long ago that the best bass I ever got from a car system was a pair of cheap 3-ways in the rear window deck of a late 70's T-bird. That trunk was the biggest bass port on the planet!
05 how much did your cost you. I think the OP was a little concerned with the cost. I have seen sound systems in this forum that would probably sound better than my living room and it is not at all shabby but if cost is a concern you can get pretty good sound for not a ton of money or you can get the same sound for a ton of money depending on how you shop it. The 150W HW amp starts at $750. That' double what I have in my whole system and if it didn't sound a lot better I would be looking for a refund.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Wow! That does sound plausible. I can't believe that the HD engineer didn't know that. The person I spoke with was supposedly the audio expert.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The EG Ultra comes with a CB module mounted to the HK radio which would not be compatible with installing the HK in-fairing amp. I suspect that it is this fitment problem that prompts HD to exclude the in-fairing amp for the Ultra.

Carl

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Gregjc68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Installed fairing and rear speakers decided against the ports for now did listen to two bikes at the dealer one with one without ports not a noticable difference to me, I am very satisfied with the new speakers can not listen much higher than volume at 2/3 even at speed way to loud for me and plenty clear

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb News flash!

I've been following the discussion on improving the HK sound system with a lot of interest. It is an expensive upgrade for a retired guy on a fixed income, so I hadn't acted on the desire to upgrade.

Then a couple of weeks ago I came across a MP3 player I had forgotten about. It still had a country play list on it, so I plugged it into the aux port and to my surprise, the sound was tons better than CD or radio. I went for a ride at speeds varying from in town to highway, and the auto volume did its work, still virtually no distortion or fuzzy sounds. Clear as can be with enough volume to entertain the rider next to me.

Encouraged by this, I went online and studied MP3 players anew. i settled on the Sony Walkman 4GB, hoping it would put out enough audio signal to drive the HK. When it arrived a few days ago, i loaded it with a playlist, plugged it in and it rocked!!! I went over to Zion HD and picked up the MP3 pouch they sell with a magnet to keep it on the tank, and it does as advertised.

My buddy and I rode down to Mesquite, NV for breakfast yesterday and the music was awesome even up to 80mph. Good bass but no thumping, voice really clear and guitars and other usual instruments in country music evident. Some clarity was attenuated by wind noise, but still very acceptable to my old ears. I had it playing so loud that when I turned the volume down to barely heard, I found it great, like when answering the cell on my Scala.

Point is here that digital audio is a must, couple with a really good input. Sound systems are like computers: garbage in garbage out.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser

ARC Audio

Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the Boom fairing and rear speakers.I haven't had a chance to road test them yet. I too am debating on the bass ports wondering if it would help the bass at 40+ mph. Doesn't seem to be too hard of an install.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Harley speakers are a'ight... But there are much better alternatives. Polk Marine grade, Arc Audio Moto Series and J&M Rokkers all stomp the Harley speakers. Arc Audio amps fit nicely in the fairings and are small / lightweight. I have a KS125.4 driving four JL coaxials in my bike and it rocks better than the boom audio. I am going to try out the Arc Audio Moto series during my next round of updates.. I hear they sound great.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I got em

I got the boom speakers for the front and rear and installed them myself. I had the dealer install the bass ports because I didn't want to risk drilling the tour pak.

They sound better. I have Rinehart 4" slip ons and the cat is still in, so the bike is noisier than stock, but quieter with the cat. The music sounds fuller and louder than stock, but nothing like a car with a setup would put out. At highway speeds, it gets less full because of the ambient sounds, but still decent. It's not a "wow" upgrade, but better. I'd do it again. I might add an amp later, but this setup works for me.

Also, as mentioned earlier, your input source channel power makes a difference. The CD player and radio's signal isn't always strong, but if you plug in an iPod or something and turn up the volume on the iPod, you'll get louder sound on the HK.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I got em

Oops dupe post.

Last edited by Clubber; 02-21-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Oops dupe post.

Quick Reply: Harley Boom Audio??????