Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Boom Audio??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
120r Street Glide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have just had bad luck, I had the Boom Audio fairing speakers no amp on my bike the plastic tweeter busted (like dry rotted and cracked or similar to that). Luckily my parts manager let me return those and let me pay the difference on a set of J&M Speakers. I like the J&Ms pretty good.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to know if the bass ports Harley sells make any difference?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I wonder if the aftermarket parts manufacturers do the same testing that the motor company does? My guess is they don't, especially when it comes to safety. The original poster mentioned they had a 2006 Ultra Classic. That model bike comes with an installed tour pak. If you look at the Harley 2012 Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories catalog, in the Boom! Audio & Handlebars section, you will see a sound fitment chart. You'll notice in this chart that the Boom! fairing amplifier for the Bat Wing can be installed in an Electra Glide Classic, but is not applicable in an Electra Glide Ultra.
While in Sturgis this past August I asked the Harley engineers about this. I was told it had to do with weight distribution on the motorcycle and safety. With the extra weight of the tour pak, they wanted to place the weight of the amplifier lower on the motorcycle.
When I mentioned about the availability of other vendor products that let you install their amp in the Bat Wing he claimed that the other vendors probably don't perform the same safety tests that they do.
It's just something to think about and I tend to agree with.

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
If you want to save some cash to spend on other goodies get the hog tunes amp and speakers and get bass ports from HD.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
HD's installation instructions for the Bass Port Kit are in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05154.pdf

I'm in the middle of an audio project and have drilled the tour pak and pods for the bass ports. The instructions say to remove the pods before drilling the 2" bass port holes in the TP and pods--pilot holes for the 2" hole saw's arbor are drilled with the pods attached.

I don't see any advantage in drilling the 2" holes while the pods are on the bike; the instructions say to drill the pilot hole for the hole saw arbor, then remove the pods to drill the tour pak and pods separately, particularly since the pods must be removed to install gaskets between the pods and TP; and, if you have a TP liner (as I do since it's an Ultra TP), you'll need to reinstall the liner to mark and cut out the 2" holes--I used an Exacto knife.

Haven't hooked up the speakers and amps. But you can install 6.5" speakers in lieu of using 5.25" speakers that HD uses.

Carl
I removed the first pod and drilled per the instruction. I have used hole saws a lot through my life and after the pod was removed I felt it would be easier and safer to tie the wires out of the way and drill through in place. I did not remove the wires as I already had the amp wires attached to the speaker wires and marine heat shrink over the terminals. Holding the pod in one hand and drilling with the other did not leave a favorable safety margin for a runaway hole saw. I still have all of my fingers and did not bleed anywhere but a hole saw can do some pretty good damage if it gets away from you. Not sure because I did not try how easy it is to hold the triangle shaped pod if it is completely detached from the bike.

Nice to know 6 1/2 will fit.

Originally Posted by e6fmf
I went the Boom speaker and AMP route. Very satisfied. Easy instructions for DIY. Did not need flash from HD.
Flash is for the BASS PORT KIT install not speakers and AMP. (Last page of directions)

Originally Posted by flashracer
I would like to know if the bass ports Harley sells make any difference?
See my 1st post. I had chrome cash burning a hole in my pocket so like Mick Jagger said "I spentit". It sounds real good under 35 and at stop lights. Tour pack has visible vibration on bass thumps that were not there before. Lots of air comes through ports. Radio flash is suposed to help.
I don't know how but Hog tunes claims to be able to fool your ears into hearing more bass. I have not heard other amps but the first thing I noticed was a drastic increase in bass after installing the amp.

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I wonder if the aftermarket parts manufacturers do the same testing that the motor company does? My guess is they don't, especially when it comes to safety. The original poster mentioned they had a 2006 Ultra Classic. That model bike comes with an installed tour pak. If you look at the Harley 2012 Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories catalog, in the Boom! Audio & Handlebars section, you will see a sound fitment chart. You'll notice in this chart that the Boom! fairing amplifier for the Bat Wing can be installed in an Electra Glide Classic, but is not applicable in an Electra Glide Ultra.
While in Sturgis this past August I asked the Harley engineers about this. I was told it had to do with weight distribution on the motorcycle and safety. With the extra weight of the tour pak, they wanted to place the weight of the amplifier lower on the motorcycle.
When I mentioned about the availability of other vendor products that let you install their amp in the Bat Wing he claimed that the other vendors probably don't perform the same safety tests that they do.
I would expect this kind of answer from a corporate engineer at a public event . It is funny they don't give you a weight limit for what you put in your windshield pouches that sit higher on the fairing than the amp. I guess that means my wife can't ride on the handle bars any more. Amp weighs 3.5 lbs I don't know how much the HD authorized add-ons that I don't have weigh (i pod, GPS, cup holder w/ ice and Beam) but that sounds like a crock to me. If he had said it is because their cheap *** brackets won't hold the weight I might beleive that but still take the chance and if they break I will fix them.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree with X Iron Butt on this one, seems with all the "stuff" HD sells and all the "Stuff" that glide owners tend to "Bolt On" or load up, the weight of an amp does seem pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things, and short of carry a buffalo head on the fairing (which I have seen) it seems more likely those HD speaker brackets might pose the bigger concern ...just saying ...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FXR_Hamster
Have to agree with X Iron Butt on this one, seems with all the "stuff" HD sells and all the "Stuff" that glide owners tend to "Bolt On" or load up, the weight of an amp does seem pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things, and short of carry a buffalo head on the fairing (which I have seen) it seems more likely those HD speaker brackets might pose the bigger concern ...just saying ...
Hey I said wife not Bufalo Head

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Gregjc68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please correct me if i am wrong but the 2006 Ultra comes with an 80 watt system not a 40 watt so the amp is stock

Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
The EG Ultra comes with a CB module mounted to the HK radio which would not be compatible with installing the HK in-fairing amp. I suspect that it is this fitment problem that prompts HD to exclude the in-fairing amp for the Ultra.

Carl

Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have pictures of bass ports installed ?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll just throw my in on this. I've had the hogtunes amp/speakers and the hawg wired amp/speakers on my 08. The hogtunes was a noticeable step up from stock, but still not impressive to me. The hawg wired ( 150 watt upgradeable to 300 watt 4 channel ) and their top speakers really improved the sound in both volume and quality. Lastly, I changed out the speakers for a different brand. I can't remember the model. Just that they were Sony brand and not at all expensive. They blew the hawg wired speakers away! Now I have a CVO with the Boom speakers front and rear along with the HK amp and it sounds nearly identical to what I last had on the 08. Bass is as good as it gets for a 5.5" speaker imo. Seriously thinking about finding a 7.5" speaker for the fairing and 6.5" for the tourpack along with the bass ports. I figure the bass port thing is fundamentally sound because I remember long ago that the best bass I ever got from a car system was a pair of cheap 3-ways in the rear window deck of a late 70's T-bird. That trunk was the biggest bass port on the planet!

Quick Reply: Harley Boom Audio??????