Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Leak - How to Fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Leak - How to Fix it?

I have a unique problem in that I appear to have a slow leak somewhere in the bottom of my gas tank. I need to pull the tank again and try and locate it but it appears to likely be at one of the welds. I discovered it when I pulled the tank to change out the bars and there was gas under the rubber caps that cover the front bolts. It was also apparent by the oily sludge that it had been doing it for a while. I cleaned it up and looked for any seepage but could not find it.

Of course the warranty is over and I would prefer not to have to buy a new tank especially with the CVO paintset. If I can locate the spot of the leak, is there any product that can "weld it" up? Something along the lines of JB Weld or the like? It will be under the tank and not visible so if so that would work.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Ive used a gas tank repair on a car tank with success. You can give it a try ..permatext makes a kit..try an autoparts store..good luck hopes it works

Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

on a 2010 CVO bike? Warranty or not, Harley should cover it. If the dealer gives you grief, call HD customer service.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

there are a bunch of tank sealers out there ...kreem comes to mind...and it works well...but it is a pain in the *** to use, and will mess you paint up if it gets on it.....they are mostly used in new tanks ...like when you make a new tank from sheet metal and weld it together...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Before I did anything I would be asking HD for a free replacement, as it is a defect in materials or workmanship.

A 2 year old bike should not have a corrosion issue, so I am assuming it is a defect in the manufacturing process.

If HD does not replace the tank, file a report with the NHTSA.

The correct fix? Have a real radiator shop ( if you can find one left) solder the area and pressure test it.. Then repaint the area.

Many of the "Kreme" type products are not compatible with the "new" gasolines, mostly the ones with any amount of methanol added. Ask anyone who had a "Kremed" tank dissolve and fill the carbs with crap.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

it really needs to be replaced.

however i did repair a bad seam on a tank with jb weld and it held over 10 years

mike

Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have successfully repaired tanks with both JB weld, and fiberglass resin.. if you remove the tank, the leak should be easy to find, then just clean it , dry it and patch it, it will last the life of the bike if done right....

Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback folks! I appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an old sheet metal trick I learnt a while back when we had a large hydraulic tank that had a leaking boss.

If the leak is in the weld and it is a very fine hairline then if you use a centre punch along the crack it may seal up again.

Worked a treat in our case and saved us taking a ring main down a draining a 2000 litre tank! It has never leaked again and that was over 5 years ago.

Not sure it will work in your case but worth a go.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

you really need to find out were it's leaking from before you start making complaints. ie do or have a pressure test done

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Leak - How to Fix it?