Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:05 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beeman
Does your '06 have an oil cooler? With most electronics, heat is the enemy. It may have over heated in the primary which could have led to the oil condition AND the stator burning out. Possibly. Any times you recall she could have gotten hot?
I thought oil coolers were only for the engine oil. Are you thinking the engine got too hot transferring the heat to the primary?

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:29 PM
beeman
Advanced

Originally Posted by krazy3
I thought oil coolers were only for the engine oil. Are you thinking the engine got too hot transferring the heat to the primary?
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Not that the cooler runs the primary oil through it. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-06-2012 | 10:56 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beeman
Does your '06 have an oil cooler? With most electronics, heat is the enemy. It may have over heated in the primary which could have led to the oil condition AND the stator burning out. Possibly. Any times you recall she could have gotten hot?
Well I do live in Arizona and have rode the bike in temps up to 105 although I try not to do that too often for my own personal health vs. anything else. It may be a dry heat, but 105 degrees is still friggin hot even with a cooling vest.

Old 01-06-2012 | 11:07 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
I'd agree with the other posts - that looks like Redline Shockproof and not the MTL/Primary oil.

Ride Safe!
I too am beginning to think you are right also. I remember reding all of the dfferent threads on oils for the primary and transmissin and that a number of people recommended using the heavier oil in the primary. I tried pulling up my order from my account with Summit but I guess it's been too long as there is no longer an online record of my order. Whether or not is was the oil is really just speculation. The more I think about it I think it's just a matter of something finally failing on my soon to be 6 year old bike.

Old 01-06-2012 | 11:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure if you can look at it and say it's toast. If you are refering to the black area, that's were the output wire solider on and they are covered with additional darker epoxy for additional insulation. Mine below is normally how they look. Oil is not going to hurt it as long as it's speck and proper wt grade. Lot of add on's is. My bet is a bad battery or add on's get them. Its fused by a circuit breaker

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2012 | 09:28 AM
dougbk
Road Master

A stator can go quick at any time. I am not a big believer in coincidence, but know it happens every now and then. I had a stator go on my 89 while riding to sturgis; everything was fine before I stopped for gas. When I started the bike to leave I noticed the voltage was low, rode it up to highway speed to the next exit and noticed it was still not right so I pulled off, pulled out the manual and a multimeter and determined the stator was bad. Luckily I was in Souix City and rode over to Rooster's HD who had me back in the saddle in about 4 hours.

Old 01-07-2012 | 11:43 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

IMHO that's Shockproof Heavy in the primary. If you did your service at 12,500m you may want to check your trans fluid. I'm thinking maybe the bottles got mixed up and the MTL is in the trans.