Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012 | 11:10 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JJHOG
Hey Dude. I know how mechanically inclineded you are so I would do two things. First as you have indicated, call around and get a firm quote on changing that Stator. Also, it's winter time, per se, and see if they are running any specials on labor and such. Second, read over the manual and seach the forums and see if this is something that you can really do on your own. I know your worried about getting the bike back home. Push comes to shove rent a U-Haul garden trailer and bring it home with the Xterra. Remember, if you end up going to another dealership you're either going to have to drive it there or trailer it there. You can also see the dealership will pick up your bike. Back here in good ole Pgh where its now freezing, Hot Metal will send out their driver to pickup a bike they are going to repair.

Last, pull out your camera Dude and put up a picture of your bike on you Signature. You've done a really nice conversion job on it so show it off.
It's 75 degrees here in Phoenix this time of year. No such thing as "winter service specials". This is prime riding time.

Old 01-05-2012 | 02:09 PM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
What's your VIN and I'll tell you.
Sorry to ask...I just purchased a like new 2006 UC. Would this bike be part of the regulator recall mentioned? Bike only has 4,400 miles on it. Dash gauge seems to be at 14v or so all the time. No issues far as I see. I got the bike from a very good friend who hardly rode it as he's got 2 more HD's.

He did just replace the battery this past summer when we began riding. Again no issues, but he never did the Harmon/Karden upgrade - I did that recently to the firmware - so I'm wondering IF this bike had the recall on it he likely never took it in.

SOOO long story/short - if I gave you the VIN would you be willing to check? If not ok.

THANKS!

Old 01-05-2012 | 02:41 PM
cp1
Cruiser

An improperly grounded regulator can cause the stator to fail. I replaced the stator on my son's and found the regulator ground corroded although not likely in AZ. Just something to check you don't want to have a repeat anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2012 | 03:31 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Wow that oil looks like sludge, I have never seen oil look like that before. You sure they didn't add anything to it before they took it apart? If not than I wouldn't be using that oil anymore. Redline is a good product and I have used it in various bikes. But like I said I have never seen anything like that, it almost looks like kids paint....

Old 01-05-2012 | 05:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GMRO

SOOO long story/short - if I gave you the VIN would you be willing to check? If not ok.

THANKS!
Sure, no prob

Old 01-06-2012 | 12:12 AM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
Wow that oil looks like sludge, I have never seen oil look like that before. You sure they didn't add anything to it before they took it apart? If not than I wouldn't be using that oil anymore. Redline is a good product and I have used it in various bikes. But like I said I have never seen anything like that, it almost looks like kids paint....
I'm fairly confident that they didn't add anything to it. That was the Rd Line Primary oil in there. I definitely won't be using that oil in the primary any longer. I'm going to run it with the HD Formula+ Primary Oil for 1,000 miles or so then I think I'll tear it apart to see what it looks like. Try to clean it up a little, change out the chain tensioner to an automatic tensioner, and refill with a good synthetic perhaps Amsoil or the Harley Syn3 stuff.

Old 01-06-2012 | 06:31 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bdjhog
I'm going to run it with the HD Formula+ Primary Oil for 1,000 miles or so.............. and refill with a good synthetic perhaps Amsoil or the Harley Syn3 stuff.
If you put in the Form+ I would stick with that. Don't bother running a synthetic.

Old 01-06-2012 | 08:16 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

I have used Syn3 and have since switched to Formula+.

The inside of my primary looked like new when I put in a new adjuster at 25,000 miles.

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:43 PM
beeman
Advanced

Does your '06 have an oil cooler? With most electronics, heat is the enemy. It may have over heated in the primary which could have led to the oil condition AND the stator burning out. Possibly. Any times you recall she could have gotten hot?

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:57 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I'd agree with the other posts - that looks like Redline Shockproof and not the MTL/Primary oil.

Ride Safe!

Quick Reply: Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change