Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012 | 01:34 PM
streeter
Cruiser

2.7 hrs does not seem all that bad if you factor in all that's involved. it is more than just R&R the stator to complete the job. Have them check the regulator as well. In 06 there was a recall on the regulator. A faulty diode in the regulator will forward bias voltage to the stator at all times and burn out the stator. leaving the key on and sulfated batteries etc is not going to damage the stator. It is very easy to check a 3 phase stator yourself if you have a Voltmeter.

Old 01-02-2012 | 02:07 PM
rideon
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streeter
2.7 hrs does not seem all that bad if you factor in all that's involved. it is more than just R&R the stator to complete the job. Have them check the regulator as well. In 06 there was a recall on the regulator. A faulty diode in the regulator will forward bias voltage to the stator at all times and burn out the stator. leaving the key on and sulfated batteries etc is not going to damage the stator. It is very easy to check a 3 phase stator yourself if you have a Voltmeter.
Some real good advice there!

Old 01-02-2012 | 02:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Being an 06 and knowing that some build dates of the 06 touring models were affected by a voltage regulator recall....................did they run your VIN through to see if your bike was affected by this recall and if so was it completed prior?

Old 01-02-2012 | 02:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

If you do it yourself, it's a great idea to take the time to change out all the seals (i.e. shifter shaft seal, quad, etc.)

Old 01-02-2012 | 02:18 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

I lost stators at 19,000, 32,000 and 52,000 miles. No cause, they just died.

I replaced the last one with a 3 Phase Stator kit by CompuFire, ( Cycle Electric makes one too,) and you CAN'T overwork that system. Heated clothing, extra lights, whatever.

Kit cost $400, ( stator and regulator,) and it's now 2 years and 49,000 miles old.

It's the new technology. Harley will offer one 'someday'...

Old 01-02-2012 | 03:00 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I lost stators at 19,000, 32,000 and 52,000 miles. No cause, they just died.

I replaced the last one with a 3 Phase Stator kit by CompuFire, ( Cycle Electric makes one too,) and you CAN'T overwork that system. Heated clothing, extra lights, whatever.

Kit cost $400, ( stator and regulator,) and it's now 2 years and 49,000 miles old.

It's the new technology. Harley will offer one 'someday'...
Arnt the 07 softails 3 phase?

Old 01-02-2012 | 03:11 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Arnt the 07 softails 3 phase?
I just checked and yes you're correct. I didn't know that Harley had introduced 3 Phase on the newer bikes. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012 | 04:05 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rwtrick
I replaced my stator this Fall at a local HD dealership - parts & labor charge (2 hrs) = $401. $550 seems excessive to me. I'd get a second opinion somewhere.
I did c all another dealer in the area (Chesters HD in Mesa) and they quoted me about the same price. Labor was 2.7 hours as well which is directly from the "book". I contacted Hacienda HD in Scottsdale however they didn't bother to call me back with a quote.

Old 01-02-2012 | 04:11 PM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by streeter
After reading my service manual I agress that 2.7 hours is probably not all that off. You pretty much have to remove the primary cover, compensating sprocket and shaft extension, primary chain, and clutch assembly in order to access the rotor. Then of course remove the rotor and stator and put it all back together again. I will have them run my VIN to make sure that the voltage regulator isn't part of the recall. I vaguely recall that recall shortly after getting the bike, but I don't remember if my bike was part of the recall and if it was replaced.

Old 01-02-2012 | 04:15 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

I have had 2 quit on me and just when I thought the bike was running great so it could happen at any time

Quick Reply: Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change