Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012 | 10:54 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

stator has no fuses....duhhhh...maybe the 2015 models will have this.

the older the battery....the more difficult it is to keep charged due to the sulfates that accumalate on the plates.

some folks take price in trophying that they have had their batteries for 4, 5, 6, etc years ......but for the price of a battery (about 125 bucks) doesn't make sense to risk burning out your stator.

google how to check your battery state of charge. when you drop below 70% after the charge and let rest proceedure...time to replace.

Old 01-02-2012 | 10:57 AM
bdjhog
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
stator has no fuses....duhhhh...maybe the 2015 models will have this.

the older the battery....the more difficult it is to keep charged due to the sulfates that accumalate on the plates.

some folks take price in trophying that they have had their batteries for 4, 5, 6, etc years ......but for the price of a battery (about 125 bucks) doesn't make sense to risk burning out your stator.

google how to check your battery state of charge. when you drop below 70% after the charge and let rest proceedure...time to replace.
I just replaced the battery in March 2011 so I'm pretty sure it's not bad.

Old 01-02-2012 | 11:31 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Being in the repair industry i have had my share of coincidences. You know vehicle comes in for an oil change and next day the water pump goes out and now its the shops fault. .
Like I just took my mini van to the dealer for a $20 oil change. They call me and tell me the oil filler cap is broke and I need 2 front tires. I'm out $280 in the end........WTF!!!

Oh yeah, son #1 is the service manager and son #2 is a tech there. DOUBLE WTF!!!

Old 01-02-2012 | 11:58 AM
jayray
Tourer

Left the key in on position instead of acc while I listened to tunes and did some cleaning. Battery just went click once when I tried to start it so I rolled down a hill and bump started it in second. Ran fine but stator was fried. 330. all in for the replacement at the dealer.550. is high

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:11 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

if you don't trust the service department , find another , it doesn't matter what they do or don't do. If you don't trust them nothing will ever be right. Things break, just because it did it when they test rode it doesn't mean they are out to get you. It all circles back to the trust thing. If you don't trust yourself to fix it , maintain it , find someone you trust to fix and maintain it.

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:17 PM
katobird
Road Warrior

if you take the plunge and have them change it....

Either way you WANT the old Parts

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:20 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jayray
Left the key in on position instead of acc while I listened to tunes and did some cleaning. Battery just went click once when I tried to start it so I rolled down a hill and bump started it in second. Ran fine but stator was fried. 330. all in for the replacement at the dealer.550. is high
thanks for that post jay. Being female and holding back cause I'm not a mechanic I read everything and usually stay pretty quiet.

My thoughts were, did the shop leave the key on? No proof to the matter but I was wondering that. Left the key on as you one time in a bike, fried the stator.

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:24 PM
Cazimere
Road Captain

My bikes an 06 too. The check engine & battery light came on. No problems before that. Stator was bad. Had the stator and regulator replaced with Cycle Electric parts. (Better than HD parts i'm told by cHarley and other people) Total bill was 433$.

Last edited by Cazimere; 01-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2012 | 12:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by katobird
if you take the plunge and have them change it....

Either way you WANT the old Parts
Always get the old parts back! Heck you can test the old one in your hand.

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:44 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain

I replaced my stator this Fall at a local HD dealership - parts & labor charge (2 hrs) = $401. $550 seems excessive to me. I'd get a second opinion somewhere.

Quick Reply: Stator Dies.....while at the dealer for tire change