Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another dealer closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaysteve
I remember when suffolk hd was on 109 tiny lil place..eastern was in moriches..hempstead hd was in the hood ..lol
When I was a kid I lived walking distance from the HD dealer on RT 109, West Babylon. I remember staring at the bikes from the window and then being thrilled as hell when I found out I could actually go inside to look at them. I drive past there all the time and wish that small dealer was still there.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Retirement? call it what you will but one must question ...

My comments and thread about how Willie G went into retirement recently and questioning the validity of this retirement was removed by the moderator.

Now maybe I can ask if anyone really believes Willie "retired" or saw the writing on the wall, made evaluations and concluded Harley Davidson Motor Company is in deep trouble? Did you seen the one about Gibson Guitars? The USG sacked their assembly facility's and stole their hard woods! Yes look it up!

I may be way off base here but when stealerships are closing across the continent you need to ask how long you can get dealer parts etc...

If you have an old Indian (my first bike) you may understand the question.

Last edited by DavidStiebel; 04-12-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
My comments and thread about how Willie G went into retirement recently and questioning the validity of this retirement was removed by the moderator.

Now maybe I can ask if anyone really believes Willie "retired" or saw the writing on the wall, made evaluations and concluded Harley Davidson Motor Company is in deep trouble? Did you seen the one about Gibson Guitars? The USG sacked their assembly facility's and stole their hard woods! Yes look it up!

I may be way off base here but when stealerships are closing across the continent you need to ask how long you can get dealer parts etc...

If you have an old Indian (my first bike) you may understand the question.
Well we all may want to wax poetic about the good old days, myself included, but the facts are what they are. HD is not ever gonna be what it used to be no matter how much we want it that way.
Facts are :
It is a publicly owned and traded company. The CEOs allegience is to the board and shareholders not us.
Maybe Willie just didnt like it this way and chose retirement. It doesnt have to always be a conspiracy theory.
FWIW the business model seems to be working for them. The product is good, the stock price is booming and the financials are terrific.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't like Miracle Mile Harley in Great Neck. I went checked it out when I was visiting NY last Thanksgiving. I grew up in Little Neck and worked in Great Neck for many years. It's in a bad place with not much exposure and the people working there had the Great Neck snobby attitude. Nothing I like about the place at and it was deserted of customers.

Ed

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99%er
Well we all may want to wax poetic about the good old days, myself included, but the facts are what they are. HD is not ever gonna be what it used to be no matter how much we want it that way.
Facts are :
It is a publicly owned and traded company. The CEOs allegience is to the board and shareholders not us.
Maybe Willie just didnt like it this way and chose retirement. It doesnt have to always be a conspiracy theory.
FWIW the business model seems to be working for them. The product is good, the stock price is booming and the financials are terrific.

I don't think we will ever have a shortage of parts, And Harley isnt going to have the same issues Gibson have unless they start making parts out of ebony (seized parts are not stolen btw..).
Harley is still one of the only American bike manufacturers (and still hold a huge chunk of the market over Victory)...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
As for Detroit HD, they were struggling and I know for a fact that a few dealership owners in the area paid him to go out of business. Its not uncommon.
Bought my bike from Wolverine HD last year after getting poor service at Detroit HD. Don't know a lot about them but the customer service was lacking for sure.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM
ang2360
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There not the only ones brooklyn hd just shut thire doors the owner tells me he can't get his customer financing

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter115
and still hold a huge chunk of the market over Victory...
"Huge Chunk" is an understatement!
oh, And I agree with 99%er too...

I suppose it also depends on the area you live and where the dealers are located... The demographics in most areas have changed alot since the "ole days".
A dealer about 30 minutes from me closed last year, it was a 2nd generation dealer, been there forever. imo 2 things closed it.

1. The last generation that ran in was not as into riding at all, only watching numbers...

2. The area it was located in, many years ago it was demographically perfect, not it is NOT! (thats honestly the nicest way I can put it).

Luckily I have 2 other dealers within 30 minutes of me, they both are ran by riders, and both are in areas that thrive the HD vibe.
Any they also put money into the showrooms, parts dept and service areas. Obviously the MoCo wants dealerships to look as good as they perform. Can you blame them??

In short (lol), Its all about if the primary owner cares enough.
ie= spend $ to stay with the times, move/stay to where the biz is, and ride/know the product and make sure their employees do as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
dave4ace
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valleybuck
Motorcycle sales of all makes have slowed a lot.The days of Harley shortages and waiting list are gone.The 2 dealers here are both good IMO.So far they seem to be doing good.
+1 Here too, I called Louisville HD Monday to see if the bike I just got had it's 5k service done to it. He was very helpful and even though he couldn't tell me if it had been, he looked up the delivering dealer and his phone # for me to call them to check. Turned out it had'nt been done so I call back to schedule an appt figuring it would be at least a week out. Guy said he had an opening Saturday!. i told him I needed to talk to my CFO(Wife) and see about this week, He said just call me back in an hour or two and he would hold the spot for till then. That was WAY COOOL!
My buddy got his bike from Bluegrass and He was very satisfied with the purchase, They got the PO on the phone for him to talk to.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
"Huge Chunk" is an understatement!
oh, And I agree with 99%er too...

I suppose it also depends on the area you live and where the dealers are located... The demographics in most areas have changed alot since the "ole days".
A dealer about 30 minutes from me closed last year, it was a 2nd generation dealer, been there forever. imo 2 things closed it.

1. The last generation that ran in was not as into riding at all, only watching numbers...

2. The area it was located in, many years ago it was demographically perfect, not it is NOT! (thats honestly the nicest way I can put it).

Luckily I have 2 other dealers within 30 minutes of me, they both are ran by riders, and both are in areas that thrive the HD vibe.
Any they also put money into the showrooms, parts dept and service areas. Obviously the MoCo wants dealerships to look as good as they perform. Can you blame them??

In short (lol), Its all about if the primary owner cares enough.
ie= spend $ to stay with the times, move/stay to where the biz is, and ride/know the product and make sure their employees do as well.
I know you didn't mention it specifically, but you mention the demographic, etc....Back in the day, while many of us worked on our own rides, folks still got parts from the dealer (at least from what I observed...), now there's not only thousands of different aftermarket part manufacturers, they are only as far as a few keystrokes on ones computer...just seems a natural progression that they consolidate market areas...what's the point of 4 dealers in close proximity to one another...
Prior to the closings, here's a list of dealers I could go to within 35-40 minutes from my home:
Brians (langhorne)
Mills (burlington)
Trenton (hamilton)
Barbs (outside of philly I think...never been there)
Atlantic City
Millville
Could probably make it to Mikes in De or Ocean City as well......can't see where that could be sustained for an extended period

Quick Reply: another dealer closed