Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Upgrage Cams when doing Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I Upgrage Cams when doing Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioners?

Bought myself the Hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade kit along with the required bearing service kit and spacer kit for my 06 RKC. The purpose is due to the potential premature spring tensioner failure. I am not necessarily looking for more torque or HP, however my local indepndent (who I have a good deal of respect for) is suggesting a mild cam change. He suggests that I would appreciate it riding two up and I should see my engine run cooler. I did not know that a cam change can affect operating temperature. If this is the case then I may be interested in swapping cams. Also what parts would be necessary in addition to the cams themselves? I see in the JP catalog, Andrews requires their own chain gears. I am not interested in direct drive. Thanks for any advise and counsel.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:38 PM
05FLHTC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will most likely need some type of tuning device to correctly tune the motor after the cam swap.

My favorite bolt in cam is the SE 204 for a stock motor, however if you ride 2 up mostly then the Andrews 21 will concentrate the power on the low end.

Some have reported running the 21 cams without adding a tuning device.

IMO the MOCO would have gone with a cam more like the 21 if they did not have the EPA limitations to meet.

The 204 cams are more a mid range cam that comes with an ole school idle potato potato along with a slight attitude exhaust note. The 204 will definitely require a device & tune to run properly & reap the benefits.

Bottom line if it were me, yea I would for sure change out the OEM cams but I'm biased & a gear head junkie!

HTH's

Last edited by 05FLHTC; 01-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,224 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The cam plate/hydro tensioner kit will include the inner and outer cam chains; you just need a set of cams. I believe the indy's commment about about a cooler running engine is based on the fact that you will need a fuel management system and a tune to optimize the performance of the cam upgrade. The tune will result in a cooler running engine; a cam upgrade without a tune will not.

You might as well upgrade the inner cam bearings in the process; parts are cheap and the labor is minimal once you have removed the cam plate. You will be replacing the outer roller bearings as well. There cam install kits available with o-rings, gaskets, bearings, etc. You will also need some assembly or cam lube.

The Andrews 26 or the SE204 would be good choices for a cam only upgrade in a TC88. You will need a fuel management system, like the TTS, SERT, SEPST, and a dyno tune to take full advantage of the upgrade.

If you haven't upgraded to Stage I, i.e., free flowing A/C and exhaust, you should do that as well. You are about to pay the "Harley Tax".

Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike already has a stage one upgrade. I have vance and hines 4 inch slip ons, and a was set up with a SERT. Would I still need tuning? Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

If you got the SERT then the tuning can be done if you swap cams.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
CURTYS06FLHX
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the 204s in my 88 cu. in. Iam very pleased with this cam. It is more of a midrange cam.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that if and when my 03 ever gets to the point I am going to have to go into the cam case it is going to get every upgrade there is including cams.

Now granted I run a stock exhaust, so my gains are going to be somewhat limited, but the whole TC88 engine is designed to meet EPA regulations from the factory, and not to run correctly which is why the first thing all of us did was get a tuner in there.

When my time comes I will also consider gear driven cams

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
05FLHTC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by watercop
Bike already has a stage one upgrade. I have vance and hines 4 inch slip ons, and a was set up with a SERT. Would I still need tuning? Thanks
Yes different cams will require a new map / tune

Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already have the SERT the cam swap is the smart money idea. I assume you have close to or over 30k then I'd go with new lifters also.

My 06 has just under 30k and it's getting the 95" top end, hydrolic upgrade, lifters, 204 cams, SERT, and 4 hrs dyno tune.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

If you're in there anyway a cam swap is nothing, your call. But replace the stock inner cam bearings with the torrington type upgrade. If you have more than 20,000 miles on the lifters, pitch them as well.

Quick Reply: Should I Upgrage Cams when doing Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioners?