Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Up For The First Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Up For The First Time

Happy New Year All!

I've managed to get lucky enough to find a lady who wants to share my joy of riding. She doesn't ride herself but loves the idea of going with me, so I find myself in the situation after a long time of riding solo of going to riding 2 up a good percentage of the time. She's ridden as a passenger once or twice before but it was years ago as a kid.

I searched and found a few threads covering the basics....how the bike will handle differently, how I should brief her to keep herself aligned with me and not fight the leans, that I should get on and steady the bike first then have her get on, etc. I'm looking, however, for some practical tips, dos and don't, or words of wisdom from those of you with experience at 2 up riding. I also wanted to ask - she is small....about 5'3" and a size 4-5 (which works well since I'm a big guy!). I have a Mustang Super Touring seat with the removable rider backrest. Those of you who have that seat or similar, do you remove the rider backrest when you ride 2 up or can you leave it in without making the passenger uncomfortable?

Thanks in advance and ride safe in 2012!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 AM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two ways you can handle this.

1. If you lift your leg over the seat towards the front of the bike, than you can have her get on first with the bike on the Jiffy stand and then you get on lifting the bike up to balance it.

2. Or you can do as I do because I am short and fat and can only throw my leg bent at the knee over the riders back rest (rearward) with the bike on the Jiffy Stand and then bring the bike up to center and have your rider then get on, once you have it steady or keep it on the Jiffy stand until she is on. This is how the wife and I do a 2 up ride. Others may chime in with a better idea and I'm open to any suggestions as well.

But regardless, riding 2 up is lots of fun. Just try to get her to go with the lean of the bike and everything will be fine. Try to explain the forward motion of the bike is going to keep it upright so as to not fight the leaning thus causing you an issue in driving.

Once you're on the road for a few minutes she will get the feel of things!!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 AM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the backrest in place. Plenty of room between the two backrests for a passenger.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Leave the back rest on. She'll have plenty of room.

My tips for two up - Work out a system between the two of you where she knows you are ready for her to get on or get off. My wife always asks "Ready" before she gets on or gets off. She can pull you down in a heart beat if she climbs on when your not ready.

Other than that, just make sure she knows to sit still when your going slow. In a parking lot, stopping, starting, at a light.

If she does those simple things it will be great. Tell her she can move around all she wants when you are at speed. You'll feel it but it wont be a big deal at all. No worse than a tar snake or groove in the road.

Have fun!!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

My wife is petite also, but a shift in her weight is still felt. Tell her it's OK to shift around while you are moving. The bikes gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels will minimize the effect. But tell her not to shift when you are stopped. That puts the sudden additional weight on one of your legs and can catch you by surprise.

I do remove my rider seat back when riding 2 up. Part of that is it just feels nicer to lean against my wife than the back rest. Also it plays into my best advice for a new two-up rider. Just tell her to keep her ***** against your back. That will make sure that she leans with you and not against you. Plus it's pleasant.

When I bought my Sporty, I thought I would rarely if ever ride 2 up. But my wife likes to ride along and it has become a fun thing we do together. (one of the reason I got the Road King) ENJOY the new experience!

Last edited by TKDKurt; 01-01-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucy's 2 cents.... I'm a terrible passenger...awful... you'd think after riding for a few years you'd be a good passenger... nope nope nope..But a real good buddy who told me I was gonna walk or lissen up gave the best advice to any passenger out there.

tell her when she's on the back until she and you get the swing of 2, lean "forward". Cornering, if she leans in to you she's going to go natural with your lean.... and besides, for some reason the guys like that.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't remove my backrest and its never been a problem with my wife. With the size of your lady being what it is, she'll have no problem if you keep it on. If it ever becomes an issue, I recommend you get a tour pack extender, like the George Anderson or Kuryakyn models.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I Used to have a bike with the rider backrest. Always left it on and never had a problem. Communication is key with a passenger. As said earlier make sure she checks with you before getting on or off the bike. If not you will tip the bike over. I know. under way you will hardly notice a passenger except at low speeds. Enjoy!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advise so far! One additional question based on the comments - any problem leaving the jiffy stand in the down position while she gets on just as an added safety feature against going over?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing that's your big red... claustrophobia settin in for me! lol I don't want to feel trapped, need the feel I can get clear... jmo

last time I rode as passenger on a big baby like yours, stand was down until I could get "in" there...

Quick Reply: 2 Up For The First Time