Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Up For The First Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I always leave the kickstand down when the passenger gets on, with my left foot planted as well. It feels alot more secure than just relying on yor leg!

On the ultra tour pac you can move them back about a inch, unless it's already been done. If you look up underneath you will see a extra set of bolt holes, makes a big difference!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:06 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

All the advice is good, but you may want to tell her beforehand that she is to get on and off when you say. If you have to back the bike up or do some maneuvering to get it in or out of a tight spot then do that without her on the bike until you are experienced riding 2-up.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rideon
On the ultra tour pac you can move them back about a inch, unless it's already been done. If you look up underneath you will see a extra set of bolt holes, makes a big difference!
I looked underneath and did notice both sets of holes, but it does look like its using the forward set of holes so it probably back as far as it will go without getting a relocation kit. I think given her small size it will be fine but I will know for sure around the middle of the month when she gets back from her family holiday visit. Good to know I can leave the jiffy stand down while she gets on, adds that extra level of security.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have learned to ALWAYS put both feet down at a stop with my wife on the back. Sometimes it's like she is moving furniture back there and will shift her weight to the right while I am stopped with my foot on the rear brake pedal. I give up telling her not to, I just make sure to get my foot down asap.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My riding partner is very petite. While riding, I reach back to feel her leg to be she's still on. I can back the bike in a parking spot witout her getting off. I get on first then tell her to get on. When parking, I tell her when to dismount. Then I get off.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
Great suggestions here. I always tell a new passenger to look over my down/inside shoulder in a curve. That prevents them from trying to sit up straight (which will make the bike lean more to compensate). I've heard of riders taking a passenger for the first time and really hotdogging it, showing off. This is not a time to be scraping your boards. If you scare her, you might never get her back on. Slow starts, smooth acceleration, and gradual and smooth stops will make her ride enjoyable. Leave the foolishness for when you're alone. Ride extra defensively - there's a lot of nuts out there
good advice here, looking over your shoulder in the direction you are turning,just natural behind you.work perfect for my wife and i.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm out of the norm. On my RKC w/sport tour PAC she gets on first and I just step through. My wife has some dissabilities so steping up on the passenger boards isn't possible. She uses my board and then slides back. No big deal lifting the bike up with her but she has been on the back of a bike since she was 13 and she is 55 now. She is very comfortable on the back of a bike and other than some added weight it's no big deal at all.

It's all in the two of you becoming "one" together on the bike. Work together, relax and enjoy the moments.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some good advise here and some that makes me think these people need to ride solo! I ride 2 up 99% of the time and I rarely know she is back there. If she was a size 4 i'm sure I would think she had fallen off. My wife and I love to watch other riders and their passengers with their different methods and habits. It's pretty easy to spot a newbie. My method is get on, stand the bike up, stand up, hold front brake, both hands on the bars and let her get on. Much easier than gettin the bike up off the stand with her on. We were teaching a new couple to do this just yesterday. He was amazed how much easier it was. The key is for you to stand up. Dont try it sitting down. I've seen several people nearly go down usinf the stand method. Left foot slip while trying to upright bike. Practice makes perfect. A touring bike is the perfect marriage counselor . Have fun, ride often!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of good replies here.If she is that small I dout you will notice she is back there.Have her look over your sholder to the inside of the turn.if the bike is leaning left look over the left sholder,if the bike is leaning right look over the right sholder.Hold the front break when she is getting on and off.My wife has been having some back problems and sometimes she gets on before I do while the bike is on the side stand,it hold the bike fine.You just have to find what works for you.If you don't think to much about it and just go it will work its self out.