Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Illinois Law

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Illinois Law

A heads-up to fellow Ill. bikers, new law takes effect 2012. Motorcyclists stopped at a red light may proceed if it fails to turn green after a reasonable length of time. My guess is a "reasonable length of time" is open to interpretation. On another note friend of mine told me he has some kind of magnet mounted on his bike that trips traffic sensor at red lights. Anyone else familiar w/ this? Gonna look into it further.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Stop light sensor device: http://www.cyclecolor.com/id47.htm

You're welcome...

Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanx Iceman24

Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Not a problem...been stuck in the stop light mouse maze myself a time, or two. Usually trips when cage finally rolls up behind, but these magnets do the trick & are very inexpensive...better than $20 worth of chrome.

Last edited by Iceman24; 12-31-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-31-2011, 08:08 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Wisconsin as many other states put that law in as well. The waiting time in Wisconsin is 45 seconds before legally proceeding through a red light that failed to recognize your bike. Thanks the boys with ABATE for pushing the initiative through, coming soon to state near you.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I have one of those magnets on my Deuce. Helped at some lights, didnt at others so never got one on Ultra. I just wait a ccouple of minutes then ride safely through. A lot of our intersections now have motion sensors on the poles and they really do the trick

Old 12-31-2011, 09:03 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Traffic light trip sensors are either pressure controlled ( look at the asphalt and if you see a saw line that is square in the turn lane or through lane ) or its mounted on the traffic intersection signal arm that looks like a camera next to the traffic light point at you, that is a motion sensor

Magnets are a waste of money

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minnesota also has an afirmative defense law in place. After a reasonable amount or time you can proceed if safe to do so through a red light if the signal does not reconize a motorcycle.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
or its mounted on the traffic intersection signal arm that looks like a camera next to the traffic light point at you, that is a motion sensor

Magnets are a waste of money
If you're talking about this or something like it, its not a motion sensor, that is the receiver for a traffic light preemption device used by emergency vehicles to give them a green light and turn all other points in the intersection to red.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...le_opticom.jpg
Common misconception that its a camera.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by carrmat
If you're talking about this or something like it, its not a motion sensor, that is the receiver for a traffic light preemption device used by emergency vehicles to give them a green light and turn all other points in the intersection to red.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...le_opticom.jpg
Common misconception that its a camera.
there are new motion sensors they are using that control the signals , look just like the old fashioned security cameras but are basically motion sensors that can be controlled from a central control point for different conditions like fog or rain or snow. they can do video too but at least around her they were not recorded . the ones in your post are for emergency vehicle sensor for lack of better term

Quick Reply: New Illinois Law