Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about adding Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about adding Smart Security System

Ok, I did a search but didn't find much. I have a buddy that has this system on his Softail and he says that he doesn't have to turn the key since he has the FOB, he just leaves it on and it is safe. Obviously I don't have the utmost trust in his technical knowledge so I thought I would make sure. I have had trouble with my key a couple times and it would be nice to not have to dig it out of my pocket all the time. So is he right? What do you guys with security systems do?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

You still have to turn the switch to the off position or you will kill the battery. Also the Harley smart security is a POS. I had it on a Softtail and had nothing but problems with it. I wouldn't take it on a new bike if it was free much less add it on.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I normally do not mess with the key at all, unless I'm leaving the bike overnight somewhere, then I lock the ignition just to feel better.

So yes, your buddy is right, with the alarm the bike will not start if the fob is not close to the bike. Just don't leave the fob close to the bike (saddle bag, etc).

I've never had any issues with the HD system, it has been reliable on my last two bikes.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

security system works well.
( the best thing in the world are the guys who don't bother setting a PIN, leave home with out the keys and then realize that the 2 year old battery in the fob is dead)

the security system allows the owner to set a PIN number which is entered with the bar controls to start the bike should the fob be lost or fail

i still lock it when parked

mike

Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

First off, I think there is a mixing of terms here. Someone who is closer to HD markting/sales might correct me, but I believe the following is correct:
  • The HD Security System is what you pay $400 or whatever extra and is a factory installed option found on some new bikes. The old style had a push button to lock/unlock the ignition. The newer ones are RF. No buttons, get the fob close to the bike and it will start. I've heard it can be retrofitted out of the factory. The earlier style where you had to push the button to disable the ignition... well, you have to push a button.
  • The HD Smart Security system is an after-purchase add-on, with a second fob that will page you if someone mucks with the bike. It has like a 1/4 mile range.
  • There also is an audible alarm module for like $100 or something, that will squeal if the bike is moved/attempted start without the fob. There are writeups here on the board on how to do that for $15 with RadioShack parts.

Now, to the OP questions:

I have or owned all 3 combinations
So is he right?
Yes. The factory security system on bikes (I think) 2007 and newer (no pushbutton, the RF kind) will prevent the bike from starting if the fob is not within like 5ft. of the bike. The Smart Security System adds the pager feature. The audible siren is an additional open if I remember correctly.

What do you guys with security systems do?
Keep the fob in my pocket. If I'm staying overnight at a motel or whatever, everything is locked including forks and ignition, fob in my pocket, park near the front office or right outside my window - never had a problem. I don't have the audible module or pager thing on either bike, but I have on past bikes. Nice, but not worth it in my opinion.

I have a buddy though, that has an '07 Heritage and he has the audible module and the pager fob. He really likes them.

To each his own, hope that helps.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good answers Turkey Run.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

And yes, either style - pushbutton or no, can be manually overridden. Set that up early on so when/if something screws up, you know how to start the bike without the fob like.....

working on the bike in the garage, fob on the workbench..... all done, fire it up, go for a spin.... decide to stop for gas, kill the bike, fill.... then wonder why it doesn't start

or

drop the bike off at the dealer for warranty service. Get 10 miles down the road and your cell phone rings.... it's the service writer, can't start the bike without the fob

I would say, "don't ask me how I know" but that is obvious

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My friend has this system. www.phantomtracking.com. Its a GPS locator and unlike lojack if the bike is stolen you dont have to contact the police. If you bike is moved you recieve a txt or email or a phone call. If you dont answer it goes into fail safe mode and contacts the police automatically. If the bike is stolen they contact the police. 2nd its an alarm system. 3rd its a cut of switch, the bikes electical system is shut down. And 4th, if you go down the system contacts EMS for you. I ordered my yesterday. To monitor its $14.99 a month. Still less expensive than lojack. Ive read of the new technology being used in these GPS systems. five years ago I wouldnt of ordered it because I read and heard it was not that reliable. And you can transfer it from bike to bike. From what I read phantom tracking for motorcycles is actually a sister company to phantom tracking that is used on those huge excavating machines, big rigs, trucks and machines used in the mining industry and other heavy machinery. Lets see hopefully I never have to use it

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Like my. Do not have siren part . Just flashers and kill feature. Never use key except when I park it at night at work

Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
First off, I think there is a mixing of terms here. Someone who is closer to HD markting/sales might correct me, but I believe the following is correct:
  • The HD Security System is what you pay $400 or whatever extra and is a factory installed option found on some new bikes. The old style had a push button to lock/unlock the ignition. The newer ones are RF. No buttons, get the fob close to the bike and it will start. I've heard it can be retrofitted out of the factory. The earlier style where you had to push the button to disable the ignition... well, you have to push a button.
  • The HD Smart Security system is an after-purchase add-on, with a second fob that will page you if someone mucks with the bike. It has like a 1/4 mile range.
  • There also is an audible alarm module for like $100 or something, that will squeal if the bike is moved/attempted start without the fob. There are writeups here on the board on how to do that for $15 with RadioShack parts.
Originally Posted by dbell66253
Good answers Turkey Run.
except that he's not entirely correct. the smart security after purchase add-on is the same as the security system that you get as an option. except that if you buy it after the fact, you only get one fob, not two.

the pager is another after purchase addon for $79.95
the siren is an after purchase addon for $89.95 (or $6.00 from radio shack )

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding Smart Security System