Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about adding Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

skratch is right...

Looks like the pager thingie is the H-DŽ Security System Pager Receiver II - Battery Powered and attaches to the That's why I don't work behind the parts counter....

Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
except that he's not entirely correct. the smart security after purchase add-on is the same as the security system that you get as an option. except that if you buy it after the fact, you only get one fob, not two.

the pager is another after purchase addon for $79.95
the siren is an after purchase addon for $89.95 (or $6.00 from radio shack )
Unless I'm missing something, the pager add-on is part of the Smart Siren II and lists at $89.95. You have to have this first before the pager will work. Meaning if you want the pager option, you need this part . You cannot use the pager if you install the Radio Shack siren.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Then you buy either the rechargeable pager (which most seem to recommend) for $79.95

Or the battery operated pager for $69.95

In either case you have to have the Smart Security system first, which lists for $329.95

If you want a second fob, it costs $39.95 and has to be married to the bike by the dealer.

All these parts are fairly easy to install and most owners should be able to do it themselves with the exception of marrying a second fob to the system.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all of the great info. Looks like I will be investing in one of these very soon. Probably just the HD unit, if it get stolen I have insurance for that. I could always get a new one

I just checked on eBay and there seems to be some good deals to be had on used ones, just don't know if I want to take the chance on that.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want a second fob, it costs $39.95 and has to be married to the bike by the dealer.
I wonder what the "secret sauce" is there!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I added the HD Security System on my 1998 Ultra. The system replaced the Turn Signal module. It needed the button to be pushed on the Fob to activate/deactivate the alarm system. I added the Audible Siren to it. It would require a second module to add the Pager to the system. I installed the system and the harness that was necessary to add it myself.

When I bought my '09 to replace the Ultra after it was totaled, it had the Security system installed from the factory. I added the Audible System II to the alarm system. The second generation alarm included the transmitter for the pager. I installed the alarm myself. The alarm has the antenna for the pager coming out and needs to be put in place if you ever intend to use the pager. I may buy the pager at a later time. I'm still not sure about it.

I always lock the ignition when ever I stop and will walk away from the bike. Even if just for a minute. If over night, I still use my cable locks. And I have never had a problem with the systems. But I do keep extra Fob batteries in the pocket of the lowers, just in case.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 12-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 PM
thunderstorm2_2002
Intermediate

I just got this system for my bike last week and installed it myself. Took it to the dealer today to sync the 2 fobs that comes with the system to the bike. Very easy install, the wait between steps to link the module to the bike was boring but didnt want the 30 something minute process to be done at the dealership with nothing to do every 10 minutes but turn the key off and back on then wait again. Dealership said I was the first person they have had that installed the system themself and did all the steps to marry the HFSM to the ECM.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 AM
h01waterman
Cruiser

It appears that some of the new CVO bikes are going with the FOB and are key less. I did have a problem staring once when I was sitting under a high power electrical tower and that was about 100 feet away from a Major cell phone antenna tower. It was resolved by holding the FOB next to the right side cover and turning the ignition on.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 AM
longrides
Tourer
Default Worth it!

I have the HD security system on my 08 RG.. (came with it). I added the siren and remote pager and wouldn't be without. Try to turn on the key with the fob not present and the lights flash and siren goes off. It will also activate the pager within ˝ mile or so. It's peace of mind staying in a hotel room with the pager next to you....

Quick on/off of the ignition switch activates the pager.... pager gives you a green LED to indicate it's in range. It will flash and vibrate if bike is disturbed. At that point the "45" will take over.....

Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
I wonder what the "secret sauce" is there!
My understanding is that the fobs have a unique ID and that the ID has to be programmed into the bike's security system. It's probably set up as requiring a dealer to prevent anyone programing fobs to someone else's bike and stealing the bike.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Quite The Opposite

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
You still have to turn the switch to the off position or you will kill the battery. Also the Harley smart security is a POS. I had it on a Softtail and had nothing but problems with it. I wouldn't take it on a new bike if it was free much less add it on.
IMHO - 1st step to securing your bike will ALWAYS be locking it! I always lock the ignition AND fork. As for the Harley smart security, my experience has been just the opposite. My Sporty came with security and I added the smart siren w/pager myself. VERY EZ install. My Road King came without security and I added the security (replaced the turn signal module) and the smart siren w/pager. These were ALL really EZ installs and the systems have worked flawlessly!

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding Smart Security System