Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me if Zumo 550 wil work as I describe below

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Please tell me if Zumo 550 wil work as I describe below

2006 Ultra

Zumo mounted on cycle with the patch cord going from Zumo to the HK radio (covered)plug. Then, use my 7-pin connector adapter (the covered plug on the top, left of the gas tank) to which I plug in earbuds. HK radio set to AUX. Will I hear the Zumo directions through the earbuds? Do I have to set the radio differently or is the AUX mode correct? I read and read the HK radio instructions but don't get the picture clearly of what I can do and how for this.

To be perfectly clear, I do not care about music or anything but hearing the Zumo driving directions. Can barely hear them through the speakers, sometimes not at all.

Thanks to all who answer.

Last edited by albngore; 12-30-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

When you plug into the AUX plug on the radio, you will hear it just like you are hearing radio , load some MP3s onto the external card that goes into the 550, and away you go.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes....AUX mode is correct to hear Mp3's or driving directions from the Zumo when plugged into the HK radio via the patch cord.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

When I first got my Zumo 550 I had the dealer set up on my new 09, for the 2 year warranty reason. The way they did it was the same way you did. How it works is, you have to pick between listening to the radio or the GPS on Aux, not both at the same time. GPS will not cut into the radio. I did hear, not sure where, but never tried, loading the GPS SD card with music will do both when listening to it in Aux.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly how I have mine set up. I have a 4gb sd card with hours of music. Keep the radio on aux and listen to music. The GPS will stop music, make a beep and give directions, then go back to music.

I believe that Garmin says that it will only support a 2gb card and up to 500 songs. If you use a larger card as I did, it will work. It just takes a little longer for music and maps to load.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Sound ain't the loudest though, so an inline amp like the boostaroo will boost the sound

Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
albngore
Road Master

I fooled with it a bit this evening. When I plug the cord into the AUX port on the HK the radio automatically goes to AUX. Then I fooled with the speaker rocker button. All the way rearward (toward back of cycle) with the light illuminated gave me good radio sound through the ear buds. I have yet to hook up the Zumo to see if the directions will sound as good. I was listening through the 7-pin console plug-in.

When I attach the Zumo will the radio be silent? Sounds as if that is how it works and that is fine with me. If just unplug the AUX port the radio will play again I'm guessing. Not a big deal since I velcro the AUX wire to the handlebars.

As I said, I don't care about the music anyway. I just want to hear directions. Thank you for all the help.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't need to unplug, just change the headset mode from AUX to radio or whatever else you want

Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
2006 Ultra

Zumo mounted on cycle with the patch cord going from Zumo to the HK radio (covered)plug. Then, use my 7-pin connector adapter (the covered plug on the top, left of the gas tank) to which I plug in earbuds. HK radio set to AUX. Will I hear the Zumo directions through the earbuds? Do I have to set the radio differently or is the AUX mode correct? I read and read the HK radio instructions but don't get the picture clearly of what I can do and how for this.

To be perfectly clear, I do not care about music or anything but hearing the Zumo driving directions. Can barely hear them through the speakers, sometimes not at all.

Thanks to all who answer.
The short answer is yes, it will work as you described providing you have the speaker switch set to headphones.

Also, the 550 has an internal volume control that can adjust volume for the GPS instructions and for music. Ensure they are set on 100% for maximum volume through the radio.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
albngore
Road Master

Excellent. I now wonder if there are earbuds that have a heavier cord connection. The ones I bought were not cheap, but the wires are so thin I bet I damage them one way or the other quite soon. The sound quality is terrific though.

Anyone know of earbuds that have stouter wiring? There must be a reason why the wiring is so thin though.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Please tell me if Zumo 550 wil work as I describe below