Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Shock Oil - RESULTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011 | 12:17 PM
gipper
|
Road Master
Default Changed Shock Oil - RESULTS

I have a new set of shocks on order, due to arrive in a couple of weeks. So I decided to try an oil change on the air shocks that have 17K on them, that came stock with my '05' RK Custom. The project being for fun and for an opprtunity to learn without any real financial risk.

I read everything I could find on the subject. Felt like I had techinique, oils, and oil volume (10-11 oz.) pretty well figured out.

Here's the question:

I could not for the life of me get more than 6 oz. of oil put back in one shock, and 8 oz. in the other. Does this come as any surprise to those of you who have done the same job on your shocks? Is it dangerous to ride any further than around the block?

When I drained the original oil, all I got out of both shocks was 3 oz. of oil. That surprise me! I expected the same volume to have been purged as I was planning on puting back in.

Would love to hear from those of you have real world experience with changing the oil on your stock air shocks.

Old 12-30-2011 | 12:43 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

I changed the oil in mine and from what your saying I guess that you did not get all of the oil out.

Try the under pressure method that is on the forum , https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ur-shocks.html

If you have too much oil in them , a couple things will happen , oil in the lines , blow a seal, shock wont be able to use full travel.

On another subject, I think you ordered 940s, so did, I and I installed them yesterday. Rode 150 miles , night and day improvement over the HD Shocks with heaver oil or stock. Im 210 lbs ride solo and it seems the spring rate is OK for me.

Old 12-30-2011 | 12:47 PM
gipper
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by XARAN
I changed the oil in mine and from what your saying I guess that you did not get all of the oil out.

Try the under pressure method that is on the forum , https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ur-shocks.html

If you have too much oil in them , a couple things will happen , oil in the lines , blow a seal, shock wont be able to use full travel.

On another subject, I think you ordered 940s, so did, I and I installed them yesterday. Rode 150 miles , night and day improvement over the HD Shocks with heaver oil or stock. Im 210 lbs ride solo and it seems the spring rate is OK for me.
Xaran, that's altogether possible. I was working a little faster on the second shock than the first, and I may have left a couple of oz. in there. What was the volume that you got into your shocks when you did the change?

Old 12-30-2011 | 01:52 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by gipper
Xaran, that's altogether possible. I was working a little faster on the second shock than the first, and I may have left a couple of oz. in there. What was the volume that you got into your shocks when you did the change?
I got 8.5 and a little over 8 out of them . ended up putting in 8 oz Se fork oil in both. They work better IMO, but you still cant properly adjust any sag into them so and they are either too stiff or too soft.

Old 12-30-2011 | 06:54 PM
gipper
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by XARAN
I got 8.5 and a little over 8 out of them . ended up putting in 8 oz Se fork oil in both. They work better IMO, but you still cant properly adjust any sag into them so and they are either too stiff or too soft.
Good info, Xaran. Seems as if I'm right on with the one, and possibly left 2 oz. in in the other when I was draining.

EXACTLY.....They're either too stiff, or too soft. Two weeks and it won't matter!