Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pingle chock

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 AM
kc classic
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pingle chock

Recently purchased a used Wells Cargo MC trailer. It came equipped with tie downs and a pingle chock installed. My question is , as I have not loaded my bike yet, when I drive into the pingle chock will it hold the bike upright until I get it tied down? I have an ultra classic. What is the procedure for loading with the pingle chock?
If not is there another chock that will hold it upright until it is tied down?
Thanks for any info.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need a photo shown here.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Do not think that chock will hold up any bike. It is a chock for holding front wheel and needs tie downs to hold bike. You need to get one like a Baxley chock that will hold it upright.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
huddle
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the Pingel Model Cycle Jaws, yes to will hold your Ultra upright while you tie it down. I you have the standard U-Shaped Pingle Chock, no it will not hold it upright. I personally like the Condor Brand Chocks (the Alumnium one). I also have the standard Pingel chocks that I use on my small trailer. No problem to use it just put your Ultra on the side stand, put a tiedown strap on the side stand side slighty tensioned and go to the other side and install the second tiedown to pull the bike upright. I also tie down the back of the bike (lots of people think this is over kill) because you never really know what is going to happen out on the highway.

The following users liked this post:
TN Houndog (08-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing to keep in mind regardless of which type of wheel chock you end up using, make sure that when you attach the tie downs that you go to the frame and not the handle bars. The frame or crash bars will give you solid mounting points for the tie down straps, where as the handle bars could bend when used to tie down.

Like huddle, I too tend to tie mine down in the back when trailering. My think is by tying down in a couple of spots it minimizes the chances of finding the bike laying on it's side because a strap slipped.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the standard hoop style Pingle chock it will not hold your bike upright while you tie it down. It's not an issue and a couple of practice tie-downs will have you proficiently tying your bike down solo.
Here's a tip that makes it even easier: I made some blocks (2x4's or 2x6's) that I place underneath the forward part of the frame tubes. They hold my bike upright so I can tie it down solo and also provide a high degree of stability if you cinch the bike down onto them.
While there are those that go to great lengths to tie to anything but their handlebars I've never had a single issue tying down with the bars in over 40 years of trailering bikes of nearly every type. Get some soft ties to go 'round the bars at the bend next to the steering head and cinch her down with ratchet straps. Good advice to tie the back of the scoot also (keeps it from moving side to side).

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 12-30-2011 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Here's a tip that makes it even easier: I made some blocks (2x4's or 2x6's) that I place underneath the forward part of the frame tubes. They hold my bike upright so I can tie it down solo and also provide a high degree of stability if you cinch the bike down onto them.
Old thread but a genius post. When the bike is tied down to the trailer floor with the 2x6 blocks (about 3 foot wide) placed under the bikes frame, the shocks don't over compress and the bike frame clamps down solid to the bocks and to the trailer floor at the same time. Just make the blocks about a 1/2 to an inch shorter than the bottom of the bike frame so you can slide it right under. Now you can use your favorite tie down points anywhere on the bike and the shocks will only compress to that point preventing you from blowing out the seals. It's ultra solid and the bike wont move at all when used along with a front chock. Threads like this make life so much easier (and safer).
Again, what a genius mind. Thank you

Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I use the exact same tie down procedure as Huddle and have never had a single problem. Kuryacan (sp?) makes a neat little tie down bracket that attaches to the signal light mounting points on the forks that I use and like really well. Just put your bike in the side stand while it touches the wheel chock, install the left tie down and take up the slack, install the right tie down and tighten till the bike is in the upright position and you are done with the front. I DO use tie downs on the rear and use the rear floorboard mounts as the tie down points on the bike.