Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gopro hd hero users

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milleda31
I have been looking at the Contour GPS model. The Contour cameras look like they would be more streamline than the GoPro's.

The Contour also has Bluetooth and an app that allows use of your smartphone as a viewfinder. The app stops when recording starts so one isn't prone to watching the smartphone screen while driving.

Who has found a good deal on the Contour GPS?
I got a great deal but that was at a bike show in England so no use to you.

It is a great camera and the GPs function is awesome.

The app is a little bit disappointing and also - beware - if you use an iPhone you need to buy their Bluetooth card. Android works fine without the card

Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pierre
The only thing i dislike about my GO Pro is the sound,
i try all the settings and i hear many crackle and disturbing sounds....

the video i see, almost all people edit music on them to get rid of the bad sounds...

do you know how to record a video and retain the sound of the bike?
We get the best sound by using the door with the open slots in it. It is still water resistant, and the wind noise is reduced nicely. For some reason, the sold door for the GoPro case seems to cause a lot of noise. Most video editing software lets you work with the captured sound, and lets you over-lay music as well.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I've used it with the chest harness,excellent pictures and sound,no wind noise but the bat wing is always there.I don't rust the suction cuo mount on the fender.Gotta find another spot.Excellent camera!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM
tek-noid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a new toy for me, but I have the Seat Mount on my engine guard, the helmet mount, and I use the suction mount on my saddle bag.

One annoying feature on my Hero2 is that mounting **** will hit the case as you tighten it, though using an Allen wrench lets you easily overcome that resistance.

Before I figured that out I was using the Helmet or Suction cup and would find that the camera would point straight up (from the wind) after a while. At least with it mounted on your helmet I would occasionally see my shadow and know to fix it, but with the suction cup mount behind me it wouldn't be obvious until I came to a stop and looked back there.

So having it on the guard is more reassuring, I don't feel like a dork with it on my head, and I'm not worried about the suction cup falling off or the camera pointing to Mars...

For me, neither case provides the audio (aka engine/pipe noise) that I'm looking for - there was another thread where somebody was using a different audio-only recording device to capture that. Maybe someday...

James

Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Lov my GP...

Attached Thumbnails Gopro hd hero users-gopr0708.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 AM
orbit
Road Captain
Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

For the crash bars, I use a Pedco UltraClamp. I got it from amazon for like $21.

The clamp is infinitely adjustable and works pretty well on the bars. I have a Moterwell Gunfighter luggage rack mounted to the rear fender, and the clamp attaches tightly to the small diameter bars found on that rack. I haven't shot any vid with the camera facing to the rear, tho.

Following is a sample vid, taken with the GoPro Hero HD and the UltraClamp, all mounted to the saddlebag crash bar, about halfway down.

[youtube]e-UTquACsTI[/youtube]

For the handlebars, I use RAM mount parts. Following is the list...

RAM mini angled base, RAM p/n RAM-B-272-U. The base attaches to the clutch lever bracket, through the mirror mount hole. I have fairing mount mirrors on my bike, and this hole was available for use.

RAM camera mount plate, RAM p/n RAM-B-202-AU. This is a round camera mount base, includes the screw to which you attach your camera, just like a tripod mount. I use a thin neoprene washer between the camera base and the mount as an added insulator, although the effect is minimal..

RAM 5.25" long dual socket arm, RAM p/n RAM-B-201U-C. The arm is long enough to see over the side of the fairing and is super stable.

Here's a shot of what the set up looks like...

Following is a vid shot with the above bracketry...

[youtube]IIoYzy9SuVU[/youtube]

I do pick up a lot of wind noise, especially with the camera mounted on the handlebars. I usually shoot video with the camera out in the wind, just to the left of the windshield. I am using the open back, as I've added the LCD BacPac to the camera.

I've found that the camera does buzz a bit in the camera case, especially at low engine rpm, so I'm experimenting with thin soft foam wedges installed between the bottom of the camera and the camera case. The buzz is now nearly non-existent.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Shedsurf, Awesome video! Who's playing in your audio? JR

Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used the suction cup mount on the bat wing with moderate success. A lot of vibration due to the camera catching every bit of relative wind.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Thank you all for the mounting information.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ram Mount

I have the same setup as Orbit and it works great..

Quick Reply: Gopro hd hero users