Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Glide or Electra Glide

I am about to trade in my low rider for either a street glide or electra glide.

I rode a friend's street glide this weekend and loved it. Was much more nimble than I thought it would be.

I wanted to get some opinions on the right model.

I like to have a stripped down bike for local rides - exactly like the street glide, and I love that it is lowered a bit. Most of my riding will be day long local.

But for long touring, would like to add a tour pack. I feel the lower fairing pieces are less important, as is CB and rear speakers.

But wanted to get opinions - have a few ways to go:

1. Buy street glide and later add tour pack (detachable)

2. Buy Electra Glide classic to get tour pack- but change it to removable brackets, and get lowered suspension (they make brackets apparently).

3. Go all the way and buy ultra classic to get all the goodies - and modify as per #2. But It is quite a bit more money - generally haven't wanted the CB, lowers etc.

Let me know your experiences on value of the various goodies that come with each model?

Would appreciate input to help me make a good choice. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the simpleness of the SG. Clean smooth and no clutter on every limb.

Add a tour pack if you want and you've got the same usefulness.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with the Ultra and if you want the Street Glide look dress it down. That way you have the cruise , CB and tour pac. .Like you said get quick detach for the pac and lower it for the look. I went with the Classic, then I had to add the cruise. Since I got my Glide I have had knee replaced and wish I had my lowrider back because of backing up and the weight of the bike. Just my 2 cents

Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the street glide look but wanted the tour pak and CB for trips. I ended up going for an Ultra with a quick detach kit for the tourpak. I'm happy with my choice.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Its makes more scence to by the ultra and strip it down.have a freind bought a sg..he added lowers tour pak driving lights and a few things..way over the price of the ultra

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
hdman
Road Captain

Its been my experience that the older you get the more you will end up eventually with
a Ultra, so save yourself some dough and get the Ultra, because if you continue to be a
Harley rider, you will end up with an Ultra sooner or later......................... my .02..............hdman

Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the SG. I also bought the detachable tour pack. I also am shorter and that persuaded me towards the SG. I did not need all the other stuff, ie... cb, rear speakers.... Plus I picked up my tour pack used for a third of the original cost. Easy to come be.... But in the end it is whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM
silverado636
Cruiser

When I finally decided on a bike my 1st choice at the dealer was a 2000 RK , saw it on their website., but when I got to the dealer it had a sold tag on the handle bars. The sales kid (ya kid turned out to be the owners son) showed me a 06 SG. took it for a test run. I liked it and tried to work a deal. No luck. After closer inspection of the bike it turned out to have had a non respectful owner. i went home (5 1/2 hour drive) without a bike. Determined to buy a bike I called the dealer and got an older salesman (thanks devon) and he made me a deal on an 07 EGC. cruise, detachable tourpack. I havent looked back.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM
JCCASH
Cruiser

Go all the way. Buy the CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Add the quick release for the tour pac system and upgrade perhaps the FullSac header. The lower fairings come in handy and protect your legs from road debris.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
01heritage
Cruiser

they say "go big or go home" I went from an 01 heritage to 09 ultra,thought about going SG but figured I might as well get the one with everything on it instead of having to add it later.If you want to add a tour pac later and you have a certain color you may look awhile before finding a good "USED" one or pay big from a dealer for the color.They do make lowering kits ,I put one on mine since I am not real tall.But it's all in what you want.Either way the only one that has to be happy is you..post pics of what you decide to get.. : )

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Electra Glide